car not going into gear

lakeview

ive a slight problem.dtiving to a friends the other day overtook a car after a few moments of driving overtook another to find i couldnt get the car out of gear.with the engine off it goes in but soon as you start the engine it with not go in.anybody got any ideas what it could be

rob

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Clutch has gone - if the fork looks ok it could be the release bearing... or if it's like mine; the organic plate has come apart and a bit of it is wedged in the cover so you can't get it to release.

Bitter, bitter, experience tells me that there is no avoiding taking the box out no matter what the problem turns-out to be.

Smo

If you still have it on, pry off the gaitor over the release fork and get a digital camera in there with the flash on and take a photo - you'll be able to see the pivot point on the release fork so you'll know right away if it's buggered. Either way, Pobody is right - gearbox off I'm afraid!

pulsarmoley

Clutch has gone - if the fork looks ok it could be the release bearing... or if it's like mine; the organic plate has come apart and a bit of it is wedged in the cover so you can't get it to release.

Bitter, bitter, experience tells me that there is no avoiding taking the box out no matter what the problem turns-out to be.
Same here, part of my organic plate broke off and got jammed in the clutch. Was about 100 miles from home at the time, managed to get halfway home by changing gear without the clutch, but had trouble in busy areas so had to get recovered. :evil:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If you're in Newcastle, go to Tom Fergusons motors. He's not cheap, but Steve knows Gtirs.