car doesnt seem to like going round tight corners/puling out of junctions!

weakboy2

Has anyone experienced this? or is it a trait of the 4wd system?? tries to spin the back wheel sometimes if you go in a circle on full lock, and it hates pulling out of junctions that are at all tight, its had a new transfer box recently.

Cheers

Lewis

MarkTurbo

weakboy2 said:
car doesnt seem to like going round tight corners
Nothing new there, what gti-r does like tight corners :lol:

These cars have terrible understeer as standard :doh: But it is a trait of 4wd cars in general to be that way ;-)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I haven't realy noticed it on mine? (understeer yes, but not spining rear wheel) Which wheel? could your rear diff be fubarred?

weakboy2

could be, seems like its locking, have the R's got Lsd's as standard? seems as tho mine has been tinkered with, looks like its got solid engine mounts as i cant move the engine AT ALL and the rubbers are really hard, which would explain the vibrations i get through the steering wheel on idle!

Dooie Pop Pop

weakboy2 said:
could be, seems like its locking, have the R's got Lsd's as standard? seems as tho mine has been tinkered with, looks like its got solid engine mounts as i cant move the engine AT ALL and the rubbers are really hard, which would explain the vibrations i get through the steering wheel on idle!

if you have solid mounts then they will be....... solid:lol: meaning a single lump of rubber with no gaps. the R has a viscous rear lsd as standard.

stu

Sam_M

Mines stepped out a couple of times but I think that was due to different tyres on the rear. Generaly the grip is phernomenal and I have GAB adjustables all round, altho it was wierd to see your post as it sounded fairly similar with tight corners, thats the only time the car steps out.

vss irvine

i had this problem with a car last year. i changed everything in the rear running gear.
rear diff, hubs, rear calipers, transfer box, rear subframe, struts the lot.
it turned out to be the gearbox.
as you turn a tight corner, the rear wheels are forced around, if you do it on a loose surface you can see them struggle to grip.
and you have to increase the revs to force it round, doesnt feel good!

A

another sunny

mine does this as i pull onto my drive, the inner rear tyre spinns and my car almost comes to a stop? is it actualy meant to do this?

Braveheart

I use my R on the track and have not had this problem.
If I go in too hot, the car will drift rather than step out. I do have understeer but that's normal for 4WD especially if you put too much power down too early. The car is a bit flackie in the snow or on ice due to the 50 - 50 split front and rear and the back end will step out and tries to take over the front.

warringtonjack

Have to say, mine steps the back end out quite easily, especially when turning on the sharp corners on the skidpan that is Asda car park. :roll:

Jul

The problem i have is on manovouring only happens when turning 3/4s to full lock seems as though the handbrake is on , although is definalty not a brake related problem now

vss irvine

its the gearbox that i had a problem with, not the centre diff(transfer box).
the symptoms were the same. the car was really hard to manouvere in tight angles. having to give it a load of throttle to make it turn.
spent weeks changing everything, then changed the gearbox and it was sorted.
the only thing i can think of, was before we bought the car, it had been towed 30 miles at 50mph, so i reckon that damaged the box

antgtir

Have you looked at the rear camber setting? If this is set too much in the positive direction i would expect to see some loss in grip around tight cornering.

Make sure the tie bars on the rear aren't bent as this will cause an instability on the rear of the car.

I dont seem to have this problem, i have the car set to dig in on the front removing most of the understeer and with a few twitchs on the throttle im able to pull the rear end round without (most times) over cooking it.

Tyres could be another issue as already stated.

Ant.

Jul

vss irvine said:
its the gearbox that i had a problem with, not the centre diff(transfer box).
the symptoms were the same. the car was really hard to manouvere in tight angles. having to give it a load of throttle to make it turn.
spent weeks changing everything, then changed the gearbox and it was sorted.
the only thing i can think of, was before we bought the car, it had been towed 30 miles at 50mph, so i reckon that damaged the box
Did the gearbox show you any other signs of damage , what i meen is on straight line driving slight turning etc was the box notchy or hard to select, as my gearbox seems one of the best boxs ive had in a car, thats whats so puzzling:?

youngsyp

Jul said:
Did the gearbox show you any other signs of damage , what i meen is on straight line driving slight turning etc was the box notchy or hard to select, as my gearbox seems one of the best boxs ive had in a car, thats whats so puzzling:?
A knackered diff won't affect gearchange quality though ! ;-)

Towing a GTiR, with all 4 wheels on the ground will most certainly knacker one, if not all the diffs. So, I suspect, if you're having similar issues, this could be your problem !

Jul

youngsyp said:
A knackered diff won't affect gearchange quality though ! ;-)

Towing a GTiR, with all 4 wheels on the ground will most certainly knacker one, if not all the diffs. So, I suspect, if you're having similar issues, this could be your problem !
i didnt say it would:roll: . i will refrase the question as maybe im not explaining my self to clearly:

Was there a problem with driving on the straight as well as when turning as i have no problem when driving in straight lines! this is the puzzling part as i would have thort if it was the gearbox then i would have an issue all the time, thats why i was asking wether irrvine had targeted the cause to the centre diff as if its not the diff how can the remaining parts in the gearbox cause these issues? expetially wen my gearbox is so smooth to drive with?