Can anyone diagnose this?

fil_gtir

I have posted a video below of my car from a cold start.

http://video.freevideoblog.com/Player.aspx?fileid=0C8D614D-F836-4FBA-A7A1-604DF42EC517

Have a listen, cos at around 15 secs a whirring rattling noise appears, and then fades off after a couple of minutes. You can also hear it on the overrun when i rev the engine. It does this every cold start, and has done for about 3 years.

Its been run with no belts on it and it does the same, which rules out alternator, water pump (new anyway), power steering. Air con been removed. Its also had a new chain tensioner. And when taken to Nissan they said it sounded like some cam squirters blocked, which they cleaned out for me (200 quid), only for it to be exactly the same.

Any help appreciated.

Phil

creedy

have you cleaned out the oil presure switch in the sump? i think its called that anyway.
mine doesnt pick up oil presure rite away.

if not that mite be ur big ends :?

fil_gtir

Oil pressure is fine, its builds up instantly, and the noise doesnt appear to be connected to the oil pressure gauge, if you know what i mean. It takes approx 30 secs from cranking for the noise to appear.

Its been doing it for 3 years, 10000+ miles.

If you ask me, I would say it also sounded a little whiney at high revs (once warmed up). Like you can hear the belts or chain rotating.

Cheers

Phil

OZ-Racing

Bloody annoying isn't it :evil:

Mine's done this for ages now. It stopped for a while and now it's back :roll:

Sounds exactly the same as yours. It goes away once warm.

Well at least I know what it isn't now, only problem is finding out what it is.

Please let me know if you work it out :? It does my head in :(

L

LoXy

i think it could be the chain rubbing against the cover. try a different oil

OZ-Racing

I will ask people at santa pod tomorrow when I start mine up at the end of the day, should be cold enough by then :? (unless I cook it up the strip :wink: :roll: )

Should get a few expert opinions then :)

OZ-Racing

turblio said:
Mine used to do that before the rebuild doesnt anymore wonder if its the water pump?
Frank, you can have a listen to mine tomorrow if you like :D

He said he ran it without the belts and it's a new water pump anyway :? :wink:

fil_gtir

Hey OZ I am going to the pod this weekend, we should get together, see if it is same noise. I will be on me motorbike tho. Too nice weather.

Oil used in Silkolene Pro S 10w40, also tried Castrol RS. Both the same.

On a side note, nissan told me to stop using the Silkolene as it was sludging. So i flushed and put in Castrol RS, exactly the same.

Phil

Dan_GTiR

Mine makes that noise when cold, disappears after about 3-5 minutes I've never managed to find out what it is though, so I just left it.

Dan. :)

stugtir

I had this noise a while back and i thought it was the chain tensioner! iso i changed it and there was no difference! :roll:

It turned out to be the long bolt that attaches the alternator to the block!! :roll: :oops:

what had happened is the previous owner had wound the nut on and stripped the thread off the bolt somehow :? and as a result it had come off, and this is what was causing the rattleing!! :wink:

stu

topcat

i visit brum quite alot.. if u want me to have a listen.. leave me a pm..

btw.. there is a modified guide and tensioner available from nissan..

Dunc

fil_gtir

New chain tensioner (new model) already been fitted.Where are the Cam Chain Guides?

Could it be the chain itself, worn?

Cheers

Phil

J

Jonny H

On a side note, nissan told me to stop using the Silkolene as it was sludging
Ive been using silkolene for the past 3 changes......i thought this was supposed to be one of the best/popular ones to use? :?