brake upgrade

nismoboy

Im after some 4pots and bigger discs and have a budget of £600 only thing is they have to fit under a 15 inch oz wheel. what are my options and what do i go for ?

Ive been searching through the previous posts and the only brakes i can find that would suit me are the wilwood 280 kit and the hispec 285 kit, But ive read mixed opinoins on these brake kits as most of u think they are crap! this gives me no confidence in parting with my hard earned money i just want a good set of brakes to get me out of trouble if need be.

So what do i do/go for?

mohsan

brakes

hes got me thinking aswell now, as i really need a set of brakes and would like to see what i could get under 16 inch oz superleggeras. I was just gona go for the wilwoods but that does seem like a bad idea

pete-r

feck all wrong with wilwoods.my car stops a lot faster than some modern sportscars,fact.ive got them and ive tested them to the max :wink: .they might not be as good as ap,s but for the money you cant beat them.in my humble opinion.as for squeaking problems,ive never heard a peep out of mine.id only upgrade to ap,s if my car was just for trackdays.they are p i s s easy to fit aswell,just remember to bleed them properly :oops: :lol:

nismoboy

The feed back ive had on the wilwoods are that the pads are crap! and also the discs rust like buggery, Also the calipers dont seem to be up to much either. So thats them off the list.

I need to find out more about the hispec kit (285 4 pot) i need to know if they will fit under my 15`s ? i have oz rally rims and i genrally have good clearence the y only problem i can see being is the wheel weights are on the inside of the rim, but surely these can be moved further in or on the out side?

Are there any other options? within my budget.

The search for some decent brakes at a reasonable price goes on :(

Mr GTiR

There was a thread a while ago regarding fitting AP 4 pots from a Volvo. Don't know what ever happend to it?

BTW, i've got 310mm Willwoods on mine and they are great, stops very well (too well sometimes) and i've never heard mine sqeak!

O

Odin

Mr GTiR said:
i've never heard mine sqeak!

Thats because there to busy rusting away :shock: :lol: .

Get some proper brakes like mine AP 4 pots 8) :wink: .

rob

nismoboy

vpulsar said:
Mr GTiR said:

rob
How much are ap brake kits for a pulsar? minimum 280 mm but has to fit under a 15 inch wheel?

O

Odin

nismoboy said:
How much are ap brake kits for a pulsar? minimum 280 mm but has to fit under a 15 inch wheel?

Mine are 304mm and cost £1600 :shock: :cry: .

Not sure on 15" wheel fitment though.

rob

kyepan

nismoboy said:
vpulsar said:
Mr GTiR said:

rob
the civic kit uses the same caliper and fits under 15" wheels. I suggest you contact AP direct and send them a pattern of the wheel you will be using, if your serious about purchasing from them they will sort you out with a set that fit.

however your lookin at 1500 quid plus for the ap'..

so i would go for the 285mm willwood kit.. as it definitly fits under 15"s

pete-r

all depends how you drive your car i suppose,the wilwoods work for me :)

and thats not rust rob,its erm...curry.

S

samellio

I think you will read bad posts about all brake kits... i spent ages researching and eventually went for a godspeed brembo kit that fits under my 15 comp mo's..
Are your 15's for 195 or 205 tyres?? as this will make a lot of difference for clearance..

Although a lot of people will warn you against godspeed i would go back to him.. He eventually paid to have my wheel sent so that he could build the kit specifically for my wheel design. It took a long time but it was well worth the wait..
My r spends half it's life on track and i've never had a problem with the kit (no fade,no squeel, pad life is incredible, no warping of discs- a lot more than could be said of other kits.. also you can get replacement pads anywhere)..

Be careful who you listen to for advice on this forum as although its probably with the best intentions most is not backed up with any sort of testing..
Pm me if you want any more advice :wink:
Sam

nismoboy

samellio said:
Are your 15's for 195 or 205 tyres?? as this will make a lot of difference for clearance..

im using 215`s.

My car is mainly used for fast road driving no track days, so i just want a good brake kit that will work!

As i said before my budget is £600 and i think that is plenty for a set of brakes, £1500 is :shock: ing amount for a brake upgrade!

On paper my car is an 11 second car and when im giving it some i just want a brake kit that will stop me reasonably well as on full chat my standards dont do a thing! also high speed driving they are even worse.

Do godspeed do a brembro 4 pot 280mm kit? as this would be perfect for what i need. The wilwoods do sound shite and the hispecs dont seem to be much better either.

zia

I bought my brake kit from ian. although his customer relation leave alot to be desired, his price and quality of bits are good. shame about the other stuff. :p

zia

W

willson

I have just fitted some hi spec 300mm with 4 pots, think there the slim line kit tho, there under 15" super leggras on et38 offset, and there spot on :D No ruined handling like on 17" :wink:

W

willson

Dunno how i rate them, only had them on a day., it depends on the spoke design really as to if the calipers will clear :(

mohsan

brakes

i still cant make up my mind, all i know is i am a hard driver so would like good brakes, but APs are way out of my £££ pockets. Im thinking wilwoods but am hearing mixed views. I need to be talking to someone whos had their stoppers for more then a year or 2, that work and ill most probly go for theirs, considering i have 16 inch superlegeras with 205/45/16 tyres if that helps