Boost

mikey bean

What sort of boost is everyone running and getting what power from it?
What sort of boost would you expect to get from a t28 tubby?

Only asking as when I build my engine I need to know what sort of turbo I'm going to need to save for or if a t28 will handle what I want. Thanks

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I run ~1.1bar, but I don't know what power that is; not nearly as much as so many people seem to claim.

When the T2804 dies I might look at a disco potato as a replacement.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
0.85bar @ 300bhp

I did try 1.0bar with a Mines ECU on a dyno and made 330bhp!

Next is a 2871 .86 at the most boost it can deal with...

111mattin111

I'm running 1.2 bar(17.2psi) daily, I've had it at 20psi when it was over boosting, while setting up boost controller with no problems, ask Noz what he's running dude ;) he's still on the standard t28

GTIR-NZ

I have std T28 and at 0.8 bar get 286bhp and just over 300bhp at 1.0 bar. However my setup has changed with a change of exhaust from mongoose straight thru to twin departure and also now have blitz dual ebc. Need to getaway remap.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Think in terms of a power target than a boost target. Without going all technical, boost pressure is pretty meaningless. Keeping it simple, 1.2 to 1.4 bar are realisitc maximums for our T28. You may overboost to 1.6bar put won't hold it at high revs.Other parts will start to be a bottle neck/issue above 1.2bar. Or put another way, 320 to 330hp is a reasonable target for T28. If you want more then the shopping list will quickly grow.Jim

mikey bean

Wossner pistons, eagle rods, some sort of cams ( haven't decided yet), full port and polish head and inlet, large front mount, around 750 injectors, hopefully around 24 psi boost. Along with other bits and bobs I should see some good power from what I'm wanting :), fingers crossed

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
You'll need a new turbo for 24psi. What power level are you after and what type of driving do you want to do.

red reading

My list:-
3076 x2 at up to 2.5bar on dyno and 2.1 bar on the road,
3071 x2, 2 bar constant , and when boost controller failed it was free spooling....was f ing quick till it melted the engine...lol
2804 1.5 bar constant dropping to 1.4 at the rev limiter, ran like this for years...

mmm expensive habit ....best not let the wife see this!