Boost problems

J

Jamz

Background:
Bought car with big hole in engine and a dead turbo. Bought and fitted replacement engine and turbo, turned key, car started, hey presto, runs as sweet as and idles perfectly. Car came with an HKS SSQV with purple insert and a bleed valve.

Problem:
Car doesn't seem to boost/dump properly. Boost guage (aftermarket) shows zero when engine is off and minus something when idling. Throttling to 4000 RPM makes the needle move to zero but no further. Upon letting off the throttle (at 4000RPM) the D/V does nothing and I get a bit of chatter.

I'm a bit stumped as to what the problem might be. I didn't get a chance to start taking anything to bits as it started pissing down with rain :evil: .

Any suggestions ?

Cheers

James

Dooie Pop Pop

Problem:
Car doesn't seem to boost/dump properly. Boost guage (aftermarket) shows zero when engine is off and minus something when idling. Throttling to 4000 RPM makes the needle move to zero but no further. Upon letting off the throttle (at 4000RPM) the D/V does nothing and I get a bit of chatter.
will show minus boost at idle an will only go up to zero when you throttle it in neutral. for posotive boost you need to drive it :roll:

iv been had havent i

J

Jamz

:oops: :oops:

I seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I presume you do generate some pressure but not much (hence the bit of chatter).

This makes me happy :D It means I plumbed everything in properly :D
I was a complete car noob before I bought my pulsar. It's been a fantastic learning experience so far. I might even get a reasonable car out of it when I'm done. :D

Cheers guys :!:

James

sypher

does the car run good and boost ok ( you should feel a definate diference in the performance and acceleration ) if so you may have plumbed the D / V in wrongly especially as you said you rebuilt the engine. you need to put the small hose from the DV to a point after the throttle valves. IF IT BOOSTS OK IT SHOULD READ OK ON THE GAUGE UNLESS WRONGLY FITTED OR FAULTY sorry forgot to say idle = neg' ,boost= pos' and engine off = 0

J

Jamz

I haven't really driven it at all yet mate (aside from turning it round in my bro's driveway). It's got 4 flat tyres, no front bumper and no front anti-roll bar yet :)

Oh and the engine wasn't rebuilt, it came from a written off 'R. I didn't have the balls (or knowledge) to rebuild the dead one.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
kevgti-r said:
ex-gtir said:
yeah you cant create pressure without load :roll: unles you have launch control / antilag :wink:
yes you can mine hits over a bar when i rev it :shock: :lol:

What have you got fitted on yours? Or is it dodgy electrics? :p

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'll have to double check mine, but I'm sure I can't make any boost while stood still.
Is your set up standard or any secret sneaky beaky plumbing here and there? :wink:

daz

mine is the same no boost when stood still but 1.2 when moving fairly fast :lol: :lol: :wink:

LeeSmith

sypher said:
does the car run good and boost ok ( you should feel a definate diference in the performance and acceleration ) if so you may have plumbed the D / V in wrongly especially as you said you rebuilt the engine. you need to put the small hose from the DV to a point after the throttle valves. IF IT BOOSTS OK IT SHOULD READ OK ON THE GAUGE UNLESS WRONGLY FITTED OR FAULTY sorry forgot to say idle = neg' ,boost= pos' and engine off = 0
this is what a garage did to my car when i had a gearbox rebiuld b4. drove down the road and was feeling really sluggish and jerky - then hks dvalve was making a really quiet chatter. as i turned round to take it back i got a lot of black smoke out the exhuast! turns out dvalve pipe was on wrong way round & something else they did too (cant remember what though) took 5 minutes to sort out.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Fast Guy said:
I'll have to double check mine, but I'm sure I can't make any boost while stood still.
Well I did check and I could make about 0.5bar boost if I revved it and kept blipping the throttle at about 5500rpm.
However, since I took my aircon off, I don't seem to be able to make any boost this way anymore :? Surely the aircon pulley couldn't have been putting that much load on the engine?

(sorry for dragging this old thread up)