Bolt on Roll Cages....are they any good?

RO_SUNNY

I am thinking about this in an event of a crash.

Will a bolt on Roll Cage resist the impact of a crash?

Opinions!?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I think it depends where you bolt the cage, and how you crash. - In theory, yes the cage will protect you in a crash.

Where it gets grey is if the car was designed to crumple to absorb some of the energy of the impact. Make the car solid, and suddenly all the energy goes through you. - Probably not a huge concern on a twenty-something year old car; side intrusion bars in the door were considered an innovation then.
It's why big 4x4s are not necessarily the best car to be in during a crash; there's lots of metal around you, but it's designed to keep running when you hit something off-road and thus doesn't give.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
It's a roll cage, it mainly protects against rolling so depends how you crash. It might give you a false sense of security. If you crash front on it won't stop the engine and gearbox coming through your legs!

I originally had a bolt in cage which looked fine and certainly stiffened the chassis up but I took it out as the car was primarily a road car.

bracpan

Check your insurance first as some dont like them...it will add considerable strength to the car if done propaly, but you also have to bear in mind if you do have an accident your head arms & legs could easy hit the cage,,so pad it well if you do fit one.

shroom

you should also wear a helmet
Yes imagine your soft head hitting the side of the roll cage it would turn it to mush. As said really roll cages should be accompanied by a helmet even padding wont help a great deal as the roll cage will be closer to your head so a side impact and your a gonna.

Also rigid bucket seats can be dangerous if you crash as they keep you bolt upright so the roof comes down and squashes you.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Also rigid bucket seats can be dangerous if you crash as they keep you bolt upright so the roof comes down and squashes you.
Hopefully that's what the cage should stop from happening! :hide: :p

I think most bits have been mentioned above, but for motorsport based activities then yes a cage is worth it, but for the road not really.

As Jim says they won't protect you from frontal impacts; Phil (bracpan) is also right, they will add a massive amount of rigidity to the car.

Jon Olds

Having raced for a long time and rolled a fair few cars I can confirm a bolt in cage should be nearly as good as a weld in type, if we are comparing an equivalent no. of mounting points. Its mega important the load going through the cage legs is spread using properly fitted plates. Also nearly ever car I have rolled has been fitted with a safety devices cage, so I would buy their products again without reservation.
What may kill you in a crash with a cage in is being in an unsecured seat without a proper belt or crash hat........Worth thinking about if you run a caged road car. The side of your unprotected head is not compatible with a CDS tube.
Jon