Bogging down

GTIR1000

The car just seems to hold back it feels like it wants to go but just won't. No smoke etc turbo can be heard spooling up just not much there. Like if you put your foot down whilst saying doing 30 in fourth you can feel it holding back. I fitted some new spark plugs but didn't gap them could this be why I'm running a bar and I bought the NGO recommended ones I read a lot about on here

Cheers jamie

GTIR1000

Walboro which is lso only a couple of months old,no not yet that's my next step just wondered if anyone had experienced the same thing

GTI-R Nath

my cars beeing doing this too runs great till its hot then looses power, always get 55 but if i turn car off then on its fine again

gtirx2

If its only just started to happen this is proberly not the case,but when i first got my car it used to have good and bad days.
I think it was because my base timing was retarded at 15degrees instead of 20,once set correctly it ran much better.

bensmith907

Ive also had it where the base timing is out made it really loud but with no power, but recently it was sluggish between 2-3k I just had a feeling #1 wasn't firing so changing all the ignition parts solved it, arm, dizzy, leads and plugs. works perfect now!

GTIR1000

i did change all the ignition arts not long ago apart from lugs as i was waiting for them then i changed them aswell it was fine on one trip then started this, i just thought maybe it was because i didnt gap the plugs might give the igniton system a good overhaul again then see if that helps

Fusion Ed

your car can still be going into knock map but not have a knock sensor problem.. I see this occasionally.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
your car can still be going into knock map but not have a knock sensor problem.. I see this occasionally.
How do you fix/stop that? - I get this problem occasionally, and would love to know how to stop it happening; it's usually when I've got stuck in traffic and had to drive really slowly for a while.

It's no good for my fuel economy!

GTI-R Nath

How do you fix/stop that? - I get this problem occasionally, and would love to know how to stop it happening; it's usually when I've got stuck in traffic and had to drive really slowly for a while.

It's no good for my fuel economy!

Thats exactly what mine dose if im stuck in traffic going slow for like 5- 10 mins, after that it feels like if got no power untill cars turned off then on...

Iv pretty mutch changed every sensor on my car trying to find the problem, and still not made any differance, also gaped plugs set timing to 20 deg and set TPS

only thing if not tried is move the power resistor away from block or put heat sinck behind it

GTIR1000

I moved my the power resistor of my block before this started to happen. As for some reason when the car is hot it turns over for ages until it starts could this be due to plugs though

GTIR1000

Think I just found the problem all four plug wholes are full of oil I dd over fill my oil not long ago so could it have been that, what can ISP about this do I take the plugs out and drop the oil down the whole or suck the oil out

GTIR-NZ

Do any of you run the Dastek piggyback on your ECU as i was having the same problem that if i was stuck in traffic for some time, it would go into limp home mode. Turn the key off and on and its ok again. I had a nistune put in instead of the Dastek and its running sweet as and havent had the trouble since.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Nope. - Standard ECU, and similarly my resistor is heat-sinked and relocated off the block.

Fusion Ed

You mean ignition amplifier? Anyhow I had to turn knock sensing off on this car it was so bad. It only made 160hp on the dyno when the fault came on it was utterly terrible.

As for others thinking they have this problem, without a computer you cannot be sure.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yes. It's a transistor not a resistor. :oops:

I appreciate that sometimes it's just a transitory fault, and it's not easy to identify a common cause.

GTIR1000

any idea what i shoudl do about my plug holes being full of oil, as in do i suck the oil out or drop it down and take the plug out. I was thinking this could be caused by the plug hole gaskets not sealing when i chamged my rocker cover

Last edited:

ollydj

sounds like the rubber "O"rings in your rocker cover have gone hard and are leaking oil into the plug holes. Mine did it not so long ago. get some new ones from nissan. £6 for a set i think. I Just took the plugs out and spun the engine over with a rag over the rocker cover to catch the oil, then took the cover off and cleaned the rest out and changed the seals. Cleaned and gapped the plugs when refitting them

Last edited: