bloody police

stumo

Doing a search....

the exhaust system is tested for....

1. Examine the condition of the whole exhaust system, including the silencers and mountings, for security, deterioration and completeness
2. With the engine running
a. check the exhaust system for leaks

Note: A durable repair to an exhaust system which effectively prevents leaks is acceptable providing the system is structurally sound
b. assess subjectively the effectiveness of the silencer in reducing exhaust noise to a level considered to be average for the vehicle.

Note: The level of exhaust noise should be assesed at all engine speeds required for the exhaust emissions check.

the reasons for failure are....

a. A part of the system missing or excessively deteriorated

b. an exhaust system mounting missing, or In such condition that it does not fully support the exhaust system.

Note: An alternative mounting device is acceptable providing the system is secure and the fixing is not likely to fail prematurely-

a. A major leak of exhaust gases from any part of the system

Note: A minor exhaust leak from, for example, a connection joint or a pin hole, is not a Reason for Rejection

b. a silencer in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition.

Last edited:

kenan

South West Regional Rep
If the exhaust is over a set noise limit which is on the low 80s you get a fine and a warning.

Second time round your off to court and it won't be a small fine.

This is being trialled in Devon and Cornwall and will be going live across the UK with traffic officers having DB meters. Us "boy racers" are on of the most complained about drivers.

hkspulsar

If the exhaust is over a set noise limit which is on the low 80s you get a fine and a warning.

Second time round your off to court and it won't be a small fine.

This is being trialled in Devon and Cornwall and will be going live across the UK with traffic officers having DB meters. Us "boy racers" are on of the most complained about drivers.
If this is the case we are all fooked!!

Just bloody rip off merchants!! What real harm does it do on the road? just another money making scheme for the sh1ts!!:twisted:

Shame they dont take all crimes as seriously at petty road offences!!

stumo

Have a look in "construction and use regulations" for noise limits......there is no "limit" for the MOT.

nimhbk

It's not about the Mot!
It's about when you go home at night and wake everybody up like mine does, or the local shi@bags on there 50cc mopeds that's where they have the problem, as local communities around the country is fed up with it

darkyGTI-R

As long as you don't boot it round built up areas I don't see there being any problem, they just want to spoil our JDM fun:evil:

pulsarmoley

I had this problem with the police, I had the goose system at the time. The police pulled me over at 1 in the morning with a car load of people. They said to get the exhaust changed otherwise if it had been a traffic car and not a local bobby, they could have confiscated my car. So i did change it to a jasma sr system, which is actually louder/deeper on tickover than the goose. Not sure on the law though :noidea: My old man fixes the police cars and he gets a different answer from every copper.
Then my neighbours boyfriend decided to moan about this exhaust one day...... HE DIDNT EVEN LIVE WITH MY NEIGHBOUR :wankah: I think he was jealous that his rusty 1.0L corsa couldnt make the same sound....... so :fu:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Have a look in "construction and use regulations" for noise limits......there is no "limit" for the MOT.
I'll double check that tomorrow, that might come under the "discretion" mumbo-jumbo. Last time I checked it was 98db's.

M

mynheers_a_pint

I'll double check that tomorrow, that might come under the "discretion" mumbo-jumbo. Last time I checked it was 98db's.
As far as i can remember, there is no mention of excessive noise on the fail sheet. Stumo pretty much covered them all. A tester can refuse to test a car for excessive noise but cannot fail a car for it. However, they can obviously fail the vehicle if the scilencer is deemed defective.

Last edited by a moderator:

nimhbk

WHAT ARE THE MOST COMMON CAUSES OF NEIGHBOUR NOISE?
Loud music (excluding parties)

Shouting and arguments

Banging/ loud noises and children

Barking dogs

Motor vehicles outside the home

Car and house alarms

Nuisance noise can also vary upon personal circumstances. For example, to an elderly person, young children and animals fireworks may be a nuisance noise. Loud music is also more common of a problem for those living in flats than for people living in detached housing whose biggest problems are barking pets and motor vehicles.

NEIGHBOUR NOISE AND THE LAW
If talking to your neighbours and mediation between the interested parties has failed you can complain to the environmental department of your local authority.

Under sections 79-81 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 local authorities have a duty to deal with any noise which they consider to be a statutory nuisance.

What measures can be taken?

Landlords can take the following action against tenants who breach conditions of their tenancy:

Injunctions can reduce the nuisance caused whilst allowing people to keep their homes

Social landlords (local authorities and housing associations) can ask the courts to attach a power of arrest to such injunctions if there is violence, or a threat of violence

Eviction, for those who will not change their behaviour.

If a local authority fails to resolve the matter informally they must serve an abatement notice. This may require the noise to be stopped altogether, reduced or limited to certain times of the day. A notice must be served on the person responsible for the noise and they have the right to appeal within 21 days of it being served.

The punishment for failure to comply, can be a fine of £5,000 with a further fine of up to £500 for each day the offence continues after conviction.

th3k3ymast3r

In essence, they cannot take your car if you are fully insured, the car is taxed with a valid MOT and you have a valid license. The most they can do is give you a fine. The accusation must be backed up with an independent investigation/inspection with comparative proof and be transparent in what offence(s) this violates.

Usually, solicitors use their own words (the plaintiff/defendant) succinctly in disproving the context of each accusation. So if any quote is deemed subjective or unfounded according to the rule of law - no legal proceedings can take action. That's why they say "anything you say can be used in a court of law".

You can also play the victimisation card.

Next time he visits, ask if he is willing for the discussion to be recorded. You will know how far he would be willing to take it but beating him to it.

Caz

First things first.
Don’t get cocky with him and if you can negotiate an out come then even better as it could put you in control and you could dominate the conversation.
Probs the best bit of advice! Even the biggest d1ck of a copper will listen to calm reason. Never ever get arsy of clever with a copper even if you know the law backwards, both people and reg numbers can be easily black marked offically and un-offically and they will make your life crap.

A bunch of us drove down a no car area one night, picture 4 R's and 4 mongoose's popping and banging, blow offs etc. We drove past a panda car who came after us. I was at the back so got pulled first. They had me on 2 counts of driving without due care and attention. 1. for the no car zone sign which I said I didnt see and 2. because I said I didnt see them flashing us as we passed. I was very very polite, played a little dumb, spoke nicely, yes maam, no maam. They chased down the next car too, had a go about the roll cage and stripped out rear but of the 2 cars stopped we got nothing more than a ticking off.

I'd go see him, have a chat about your concerns and explain your point of view and any objections

gl3nn

With regards to me leaving it on idle or revving it I very rarely drive it, I haven't had it for 5 weeks due to my mate doing a lot of work onit, and I'm pretty sure he has been hearing a loud car and seen me leaving the street? I think I will try smoothing things over and explain to him that was the 1st time my car had been diven in 6-7 weeks, and apoligise, and ask him if he finds a quite exhaust for my car ill buy it because I can't find 1 lol