Bit Of Oil Spray From Exhaust at Start Up..

P

pushermanR

Getting some oil through the exhaust when started up from cold(sprays the floor at back of car) and a lil smoke but when warm no smoke or oil at all and when coming off boost no smoke either..
The car has had new pistons fitted recently(compression is still spot on)..and plus i have had the Turbo rebuilt at a well trusted tubby repair place..
The car seems spot on in performace wise holding boost at about 0.7 bar and ticking over smooth(at about 1300) with no misfires..

Checked the oil level it seems 2 have been well over filled could this result in the breather system being pushed a bit to far and there is oil droplets in the IC.???or maybe the valve stem oil seals have gone who knows?? :? :?

Mr GTiR

1300 rpm seems a little high for tick over.

Not too sure on the oil problem but how long has this been happening for? Could be like you said to over filling?

P

pushermanR

it aint the tick over that bothers me...its always ticked over high...
Its the oil spray..

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Silly question, but are you sure it's oil? Water is normal for coming out of the exhaust, but oil normally gets burnt and smokes out of the exhaust. Is the oil coming out of the exhaust or are you just finding it on your rear hatch? (In which case look for transmission leaks :wink: )

J

JamesB

Its most likely valve stem seals. Hot oil leaks down after running while the oil is still thin and the engine is cooling down. Oil sits ontop of the valves etc and gets blows out during the first few minutes of warming up.

ram5ay

What Fast Guy said - I'd double check to make sure it's not sooty black water coming out of your exhaust, you should be able to tell by rubbing it between your fingers.
You'd have to have a hell of a lot of oil coming out of your engine for it to make its way all the way to the tailpipe in liquid form, where as water will condense and sit in your exhaust from the night before, then fire out when you start your motor in the morning.
:wink:

O

one Gti-R

Fast Guy said:
Silly question, but are you sure it's oil? Water is normal for coming out of the exhaust, but oil normally gets burnt and smokes out of the exhaust. Is the oil coming out of the exhaust or are you just finding it on your rear hatch? (In which case look for transmission leaks :wink: )
Exactly I highly doubt that that its oil.

It is normal for condensation to occur in the exhaust. This sounds like it is your problem. Depending on what type of exhaust you have the worse it can be

It will jus tbe the water from the condesnsation getting dirty and being blown out. nothing major to worry about.

P

pushermanR

It creates a sooty spray on the floor about 2 feet away from the exhaust...Never noticed it really until the other day when i was fiddling with the idle and looked around the back of the car and there was this strange black trail...??The car has got a goose with a 3.5 silencer...

T

Toady

:roll:
mate, thats nowt to wrry about!! its the condensed water mixing with the soot in your exhaust and being blown out the back. :oops:

P

pushermanR

:D :D Coolio.....its just that its been in the garage more than on the road..but now im happy...well i would be if i could work out what the massive hiss and spinnin whirl that comes from under the car when the foot gets planted....can really hear this spinnin whoosh when windows down and when ya change gear the spinnin stops....car is just runnin orig D/V :? :? :? :?its vee stange :?Maybe clutch is on theeee way art..(and im not talking about the turbo)

P

pushermanR

I wondered why there was a hairdryer strapped under the manifold :lol: :lol: lol
Thanks Toady you is most helpful

T

Toady

pushermanR said:
I wondered why there was a hairdryer strapped under the manifold :lol: :lol: lol
Thanks Toady you is most helpful
Always willing to lend a hand!heh heh! :lol: