Bigger or smaller turbo?

Trip

Hi all, Recently I’ve been looking into my manifold, turbo and IC setup. All i need from this car is quick spool/minimal lag without too much suffering up top the rev range. BUT...I will gladly suffer up top the rev range for a quick spool/minimal lag.

To this regards, i am looking into a custom made 3" thick TMIC which has the flow capacity of for 500-600horses. This will give the shortest pipe run setup.

Manifold headache.... I already have a new DP Mani with T3 flange, new GT3071 T3 flange (.82AR) and a new tail wastegate. I am considering going for (1) a smaller turbo (GT2871) to meet the above requirements or somewhere in between, (2)Getting a GT3071R T28 hot side like most of you guys have matched to a ported/polished standard manifold.

I know this might look like a stupid question, should i be better off with option1, option2 or keep my existing setup?

such races makes me want to go smaller.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvTA1ZTyfJI

this is the one of few fastest races
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JPTR4IITbMhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCJ9WmndoRk

MORF114

keep your existing setup, depending what you want to use your car for track or drag or road warrior,
I also think you should ditch the 3" top mount idea and go for a pwr liquid to air 6x8 inter cooler like rob has much better idea and all round better cooling capabilities than any top mount could acheive.

ashills

the t25 based 3071 will spool a bit faster tbh and with a standard manifold will keep pipe run to shortest etc

Trip

ashills said:
the t25 based 3071 will spool a bit faster tbh and with a standard manifold will keep pipe run to shortest etc
Will the GT2871R be faster spool then the T25 based 3071 ?

GTIR-LOZ

i believe so but not much only about 200-400 rpm from what i have read just top end its not as good

Trip

for a ~500rpm difference I would go for the GT2871R. Unless its not too much restricted top end.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Not sure if he still supplies them but Ashills used to be able to get a best of both worlds GT2971R

Trip

RishiGTiR said:
Not sure if he still supplies them but Ashills used to be able to get a best of both worlds GT2971R
that would be ideal
I will need to sell my setup first unless we can come up with part exchange deal :thumbsup:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Noone will bar mods/admin, will they Rishi.:doh:

How much power are you aiming for Trip?
What top speed do you expect to do on the sprints? If not too high, swapping for an RB box would be good combined with max power at 7500rpm or higher, so you're still pulling hard to the box's top end of around 125mph.

Trip

125mph would be more then enough. Mind you i am not planning to change the box too. I already have Si old quaife braced box.

Power, i really don't know. But the more is always better. yet again not really after power, more responsivness and power when i need it. In some instances i will be at WOT for around 2 seconds at a time, i want those 2 seconds to be positive rather then waiting for the turbo.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The post is dated 2005, so the prices will have changed. Just pm Ashills if you want the current price for the GT2971R.