BHP Show - Bank Holiday Monday 6th May

Mad

Hi,

Is anyone attending the BHP Performance Show at Lydden Hill on Monday?

BHP Performance Show, known to some as the 'show of the year', is the leading
Performance, Motorsport and modified car show in the South of England.
Now in
its 6th year in the running, the annual event which is held at Lydden Hill race
Circuit in Kent is a day out for all the family.
The event, held on Monday
May 6th 2013, features childrens entertainment, food village, trade stands,
static displays from Classic to modern machinery, and the highlight being the 8
hours of live ‘on track’ action including motorsport demonstrations and 5 hours
of public track time.
A variety of motorsport and performance demonstrations
are featured, including Truck Racing, Drifting, Rallycross, Group B, Circuit
Racing, Oval Racing and High Powered sprint/street cars making it a fun day for
all the family.

At the moment we have a stand for 20 cars in the same
place as last year, which is up on the bank with great viewing of the track and
pit area.

Prices are £10 for car and driver, passengers £15, under 12s
free.

Track time is available but you will have to book that direct with
The BHP Show.

http://www.bhpperformanceshow.com/index.php

I'n gonna be there on the Fusion Club Stand so should be 3 to 4 + Pulsars there.

Mad

Track Day Virgin

Update for the BHP Event.

Car was finished on Sunday, mapped, suspension adjusted and driving nice. Drove over to Dover on the Sunday and stayed in some funky hotel for the night then out for a curry.

Turned up to the event Monday morning and queued for the track time.

The Plan was to have a couple of sessions, firstly in the novice class then onto the intermediate class.

Unfortunately, Ed and I were straight out onto the intermediate class which was not ideal as wanted to get in some practice but worked out ok.

Being a track virgin and not haven driven the car in anger before, I took the first few laps very slowly.

I followed a grey scooby for a little while to follow his lines and on the frist bend when you come out of the pits followed his racing line. That was a mistake, he ended up in the gravel and so did I nearly lol.

The next few laps got better but the biggest problem I had was that most people were taking the bends in 3rd and when I came out of the bends onto the straights, my turbo was way to slow in spinning so by the time I came on boost, I was braking. Lydden Hill is a very short track so not really ideal for my car.

Ed checked the date on the syvecs which was interesting to look at so I made a few changes for my second session.

I had the racing lines sorted so this time, I braked later into the bends, dropped into second and had a much more control through the bends and acceleration out of the bends. The track was still too short to get the most out of the car but felt a hell of a lot better than my first session and I was competitive around the bends and quick down the short straights.

Then the bad news, I looked into my mirror to see loads of smoke out of the back window. I immediately pulled over and turned the engine off and was towed off the track.

Ed and Dan (red reading) took a good look at the car to diagnose the problem. They both feared the worst with a rod coming out of the side of the block. Upon further inspection, the engine had blown the oil seal so after a bit of cleaning, Ed put the filter back on and started her up. Everything seemed fine with no knocks or smoke so I think I was very lucky.

Drove the car back home and no problems so hopefully everything is ok and I managed to switch the engine off without causing serious damage. Time will tell but keep fingers crossed.

So, an eventful day yesterday but thoroughly enjoyable and can't wait to do it again.

There is certainly a lot to learn in being quick on a track day and I have to make a few changes to my suspension setup but overall very pleased with my first outings.

Saw a total of 5 gtir's

Red Reading
Fusion Ed
Ash
Mine
A nice wide arch yellow one

Some piccies

Big thanks to Ed and Will at Fusion for organising the event and to Dan (red reading) for his input and advice.

Fusion Ed

Was a great day. Even if my old engine did also spin a bearing on the track - it happens - 10 year old engine well that's as long as I've known it anyway. I will rebuild that in the next month and I'll soon be out for another go!! Was good to see yours on the track Dan. Quite interesting to take all the data from the logs. I have to admit though quite scary watching my work go racing around the track.

One thing for more Will and myself will be organising more of this kind of event.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It's not the first time I've heard of that on a gtir. Do you know what caused it? Filter coming loose, high oil pressure, faulty seal?

Fusion Ed

Old soft seal by the looks of it. Sustained high RPM, which the car has never had before 90psi etc has pushed out the seal. Again not the first time I've seen this. They need some kind of reinforcement in them, they are quite poor really. If the plate was machined in a different way to allow a thinner seal to fit then it would be fine. Horrid things. The biggest problem is the aluminium thread that the pulsar has on the oil housing. If it was steel you could clamp it up, but if you do they risk snapping - which I have seen also happen.

pulsarmoley

Looked like a good day. The silver impreza you were following didnt have black writing down the side by any chance?

pulsarmoley

Not been out in his yet but i think when i last asked he was running 440hp @ the hubs. Hes done a lot to it over many years. I know he was there and heard he got track time but not sure if he went out in his motor?