Best hot hatch vote

nismoboy

Ive owned most of the "hot hatches" and yeah the 205 gti was a fun car, but personally my fave was my astra mk2 gte 16v, god that thing was fun. i still miss it at times lol

P

pulsarboby

gotta be the mk1 golf. was a reliable good handling flying machine in its day and still sought after now!

John

Interesting that on the whole most of these cars are from mid 80's to 90's and are void of all the extra weight of modern cars, the car manufacturers should take note!

Jon Olds

Being old and grey, I offer an opinion based on experience;
still got a mk1 cooper s. I know its not a 'hatch' bit it really started a ball rolling. handles like a kart.
Had four 205 GTI's and my grey 'one owner' 1.9 was a peach. Until it got knicked..
Mk1 Golf's, Brill. Run two. One sprint car, one rally car.
latest 'fetish' is Peugeot 106's. Building a 16V lightweight one, on the cheap...

BTW: Pulsars still rock

Fire & skill

Vintage member
I was actually very disappointed with my 1.9 gti, I expected it to be quicker. the astra GTE was a cracking car but I do miss my Lancia, although nowhere near as quick as an R it just held the road so much better.

i cant get over how many of yous have picked the 205gti, I'm not saying it was a bad car but is as over rated as the golf vr6

chrism

Best handling car ever was my 206 gti then the 205. The 205 was hazardous in the rain. I thought my mk1 golf with a 2l 16v from a corrado was raw until I owned an R. The R is by far the quickest but the handlings not as good as any of the others I mentioned.Id rather have an R over any of them though.

Jon Olds

My measure is what they are like to drive on or past the limit. Especially obvious if the limit is reduced, if you know what i mean. If you can commit to a corner, or a series of corners when its streaming wet, or on cheap or worn out tyres, then its a good car. If you can gain on the car in front in those circumstances, then it is a very good car..

rams_pulsar

i voted the nissan sunny gtir of course ha that whole list is just lifted straight from back of the magazine as the list and spec of all the hot hatches listed

Empty Pockets

I agree with the above, had 6 in total, 3 of each. Got my first when i was 16, a grey 1.6, and got rid of my last a couple of years ago to a friend who stripped it for parts the nutter! Was a mint 91 h plate 1.9 non sunroof model, cream leather, polished engine bay etc etc that i had garaged for over a year to play with. He stripped it out and got rid of the shell and put the bits on an old d reg one, He also got the d reg one off me! The quickest out of the lot though was a rusty 1.6 i got for 250 quid off a friends family member in maidstone, It would spin in third coming off a rounderbout in the dry, none of the other 5 did,

J

Jezcharger

Yeah the french hot hatches r very good(i've got a clio 172cup) but its still crap when it wheelspins in third upto 70 and nearly torque steers into someones front garden just cos its 2 below! Power aint nowt without control and thats where the gtir wins out in my opinion