best hks turbo

A

Anonymous

hi guys wondering what hks turbo would be best to use
if you were running 1.6bar - 1.7bar max(380-400bhp)
and have as little lag as possible????

oh and the car to be used as a daily driver as well as a drag devil :twisted: :twisted:

E

Edd

yes it does depend on engine spec really
GTRS is meant to be a good all rounder, ie good for 400bhp but minimal lag, but i don't know of anyone with one on a 2.0 though

A

Anonymous

soory lads mine is a gtir
the engine is being built 87 mm hks pistons
700 cc sard avcrs etc
hoping to run 1.6bar originally i was planning on the hks3037 like edds
but i think a smaller turbo with alot less lag would suit my needs better as it would be a daily driver

E

Edd

boost almighty said:
soory lads mine is a gtir
i think we had guessed that bit :wink:

boost almighty said:
would suit my needs better as it would be a daily driver
mines a daily driver too :shock: :p

the 3037 is quite a large turbo, and on a 2045cc (87mmm pistons) it would perform very well but wuld probably be a bit laggy, it depends on what your going to rev the car too, and how well mapped it is aswell.

The 3037 as a kit with manifold though aint cheap :eek: :cry: but neither is the GTRS. If you get the turbo from UK tuner it's going to cost you sh&t loads, but getting them from usa will save you money.

In a month i'll have better opinion on the 3037S i have for mine, but will be on a 2.2 though not 2.0

S

Sirnixalot

HKS GTRS would be good for that power range. Look for full bost on the HKS GTRS between 3250 and 3750rpm

HKS GT3037 on the standard manifold will make full boost between 4250 and 4500rpm

S

Sirnixalot

unless the manifold is ported it will limit you to 420bhp even when its ported you might get the 440bhp that the 52trim GT3037 can support.

A

Anonymous

if you dont mind me asking edd, what web site did you get that turbo from? i was looking at takiara japan?? and the manifold wasnt listed with it
what injectors you running ed??

E

Edd

the turbo was bought through hiteq :shock:
it uses an modified HKS S14 manifold that has been ceramic coated.
Currenlty have 600cc injectors but i will need bigger in the future to run more boost

nismoboy

Sirnixalot said:
unless the manifold is ported it will limit you to 420bhp even when its ported you might get the 440bhp that the 52trim GT3037 can support.[/quote

:D I did`nt realise the hks 3037 would fit a standard manifold. nice one maybe i should get one 8) full boost by 4,500rpm thats not too bad! how much does the hks 3037 cost? and does it have an external or intergrated wastegate?

S

Sirnixalot

The standard manifold will need to have an external wastegate flange welded to it. I can email you pix of what it should look like.

You will need to to a tad of grinding to the block to clear the compressor housing but its nothing structural.

See this link for a few excellent pix. I would do the wastegate another way as to avoid having to run only 1 fan but his seems to work just fine.

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=33910&highlight=HKS+GT3037

S

Sirnixalot

A 9.5:1 compression ratio SR20DE with a stock catalytic converter and 2.5" exhaust makes 10psi between 3300 and 3500 rpm.

Look for that to be around 3700rpm on the GTi-R because of the lower compression. The lack of a catalytic converter will make a difference as well.

To be honest and optomistic im looking to make 14.77psi or 1bar of boost before 4000rpm. I think i can get it by 3700rpm as i have an equal length manifold 3" exhaust and a stand alone. Later on in the year when i raise the compression ratio to 9.0:1 (via pistons and a 1mm head gasket) and a Jun flywheel (or OS giken single plate clutch/flywheel) i should see that 1 bar between 3250 and 3500rpm......SHOULD. But these numbers are all educated guess' so take them with a grain of salt.

Thor

i have install the GT3037S 56T in my R.. but it runs next week after completion.. than i am strained what my car runs... i have fit them on the 200SX manifold with external Tial 38mm wastegate and the engine has become the 87mm HKS piston, HKS 1.2mm head gasket and 660cc Sard injectors... with 5 bar fuel...

cheers
sascha

S

Sirnixalot

5bar of fuel is WAY too much. Get some larger injectors before you rupture the lines.

Thor

Sirnixalot said:
5bar of fuel is WAY too much. Get some larger injectors before you rupture the lines.
how much you mean??? is 660cc not enough??? and can you tell me if the Kent camshaft´s are good??? or is HKS much better???

nismoboy

Colditz-Motorsport said:
Sirnixalot said:
how much you mean??? is 660cc not enough??? and can you tell me if the Kent camshaft´s are good??? or is HKS much better???
he means your fuel pressure is to high :!: turn it down or u will burst a fuel pipe :!: ive heard of people using for 4bar but 5 bar is to high.

S

Sirnixalot

you shouldnt need to run 5bar of fuel pressure. THe most base fuel pressure you want is 4bar.

If you need to run the 660cc injectors @ 5bar to supply the engine with the right amount of fuel you need larger injectors.

660cc injectors flow 660cc's of fuel a minute @ 3bar of fuel pressure.
660cc injectors flow 858cc's of fuel a minute @ 5bar of fuel pressure.

You will over heat the injectors and possibly cause the valve they use to stick because it cannot close with that kind of pressure on them.

Get some 850cc injectors and bump the fuel pressure down to 3bar.

Also i dont know anything about kent camshafts...do you have the specs?