Back up and running again.Only took 5 years.

skiddusmarkus

After hibernating in my garage for 5 years or so, my old black money pit is officially out of retirement.For those who care or don't know it,the spec is roughly(I've prbably forgotten stuff):

Engine:

Tomei 260 cams
Tomei rocker stoppers
Tomei valve springs
HKS cam pulleys
Tomei 1mm head gasket
Mild polish on rebuilt head
Nismo headstuds
Tomei 87mm pistons
PAR conrods
ARP rod bolts
JUN(aka cosworth)crank studs
Lightened/balanced crank
Forge alloy pulleys
Mildly ported standard exhaust(heat wrapped)

Intake:

Blitz sus filter on home made induction pipe
Turbodynamics md214 turbo
Forge FMIC
Home made air scoop fed by sparrow slicer
HKS SQV

Felling:

Sard FPR
Walbro pump
Sonnicly cleaned injectors(until run in)

Cooling:

Koyo alloy rad
Mocal oil cooler
Samco/silicon hoses all over the place.

Chassis:

Fully polybushed using whiteline/powerflex stuff
Nismo engine mounts
Front upper and lower and rear upper cusco braces
Tein SS coilovers
Tein EDFC damper controller
Bumpsteer mod
Cusco 6 point bolt in cage
Hispec 300mm discs with racing 4 pot calipers
Rear 285mm disc conversion(martin bell)
Whiteline front and rear ARB
Steves brake master cylinder mod
Volks TE37 with 215x50x15 T1-S

Transmission:

Helix paddle clucth
Jun lightweight flywheel
Nismo front and centre diffs
PAR gearset with 10% shorter 3/4/5th and yes, it works as Bernie built it.

Interior:

Knocklink knock monitor
Knocklink lambda gauge
Greddy egt guage
Greddy e-01 boost controller
Tein EDFC controller(adjust dampers from inside the car)

Stuff in the process of going on:

Janspeed 3" elbow & downpipe
Aquamist system 2d water injection
MSD 6200a ignition box
MSD coil
Cobra suzuka driver seat(has been and out, struggling to get it to sit right)
Cobra imola 2 passenger seat
3" intake with Z32 MAF and recirc plumbing for BOV
Blitz 700cc injectors
Innovate LC1 wideband lambda(greddy e-01 can display the a/f)

I have missed some stuff I'm sure.

First drive and took it pretty steady until I got on the dual carriageway, then it did the usual trick of blowing a boost hose off when it hit 0.65 bar(its running on wastegate until run in)which for a split second makes you think a ring has gone or the HG.Popped it back on and came home to retighten all the hoses and took it out again and it was fine.Feels very strong in 1st & 2nd but after that there are noticeable flatspots so is in need of mapping as soon as its run in.

Last edited:

shroom

thats brilliant that it wasnt just another list been broken and you have put some hard work into getting it finished, now go and have fun in the thing!

tee

congrats mate, good on ya, nice to see another one hit the road after being in storage for ages.

what you think of the turbo u have mate?
i was thinking about getting one for mine

skiddusmarkus

I don't have loads of experience with different turbos but it seems to be making good boost by 3500 so similar to standard and pulls better at higher revs than standard.PLus it can take about 1.8 bar which a standard one never would, but I'll probably have it on max setting of 1.6bar with 1.2bar for everyday use.

The crap around the edges of the wheel is from having new tyres on.You can see the 300mm discs under 15's- it can be done :D and there's about 10mm clearance too with thse rims.

Last edited:

skiddusmarkus

Haha John if something bad happens I think it will be.I could sell it with a unique feature of the UK'S only working PAR box :D.

skiddusmarkus

Yeah it only took 3 builds to make it work, so not bad going.Feels fine now, it will even go go down the box into 1st when moving which the standardone never would.

red reading

Haha John if something bad happens I think it will be.I could sell it with a unique feature of the UK'S only working PAR box :D.

Myself,bracpan,a guy in scotland all have working par boxes,the problem is how there built not the gear kit itself,I built mine and have rebulit bracpan's after he snaped the standard selector fork,They are good gearboxes, nice car btw.

skiddusmarkus

Yeah, the first builder said the finish was shocking...and didn't bother doing anything about it.Then the 2nd builders moaned about it and still didn't fix the problem.Then Bernie had it and job jobbed.I also had fittings added to the casing that allow me to use a gearbox cooler, dunno if I will.Three rebuilds with only a few hundred miles in between them all kind of pisses you off.
I think I was the 1st to order a PAR box in the UK and probably the last to use it :D.I found the recepit for it the other day- $4800 but I picked my own ratios and had one of the special selectors too(which the 1st builder managed to bugger up so had to buy a standard one as well as all synchros etc so at least its all new).I think I asked for 3,4th and 5th to be 10% shorter for better in gear acceleration and still be in 4th gear going over the line in a 1/4 mile.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Mine drives.. Shiming was all done a while back and were sent out to Phil as he needed them! So those invovled in the Shim Bank, you now know who has them..

Gerry is still looking for time to map it upto full boost. :-(

I see that Russ is over at Performance HQ now.. Or he at least has the Performance HQ logo on his car rather than the Wallace Performance one.. If Russ is actually there then he would be another person who could map my car if Gerry can't free up some time..

I emailed them today so hopefully I hear back soon..