A'PEXi Power FC

G

GTI-R Kid

Is there much (if any) difference between the Power FC for an S13 200SX, an S14 200SX and a Pulsar GTI-R?

Can one be made to work in another? Spliced together or direct plugged?

Since they have the same SR20DET engine would the base maps be the same?

What about controllers - are these universal or specific to each type of Power FC?

Rob

zia

i think the power fc might fit from 200sx if they have same loom connection.but there wouldn,t be any point unless you,re getting it really cheap. just buy one for gtir. all commander are the same.

zia

lord of the "R"

G

GTI-R Kid

$700 for Power FC and Commander as opposed to 850 Euro just for the FC?

Sound worthwwhile or should i just try to find the difference and get a new GTI-R-specific FC?

Rob

zia

thats a good price cheaper than british prices.what will be the tax on that?.best thing to do talk to somebody whose already got one and check the ecu plugs are the same.it be handy if you had speific ecu number/code just check its the same ecu for gtir/200sx check on www.apexi.com.

zia

lord of the "R"

Davey

some1 posted on here a couple of weeks ago that the wiring looms are different, apparently people sometimes use power fc's meant for other nissans, with spliced ecu's, cant remember the post though,sorry

Have a look on apexi's U.S site,
http://www.apexi-usa.com/productdocumentation/electronics_savcr_wire.pdf
http://www.apexi-usa.com/documentation.asp
it should have a list of nissan's, and what type type of plugs they have on the back of the ecu.

From what i can tell, S15's,some S14's, and ps13's,(whatever they are) are the same type of plug as pulsar's (N3A) but S13's are N4A plugs Havent a clue about the maps though[:)]

G

GTI-R Kid

Thanks for the links Davey. had a look through the Power FC documentation and came to the same conclusion as yourself, that certain S13 and S14 Sylvia/200SX's have the same type of ECU plug. But, to be honest, that confuses me even more! Afterall - if they have the same ECU plug with the same sensor input positions, then why would there be any need to splice anything?

Think i might have to mail a few tuners to get a better idea.[V]

Rob

T

T11EWL

Hope I'm not too late on this thread.

The Power FC (which replaces you ECU btw) is different for ALL Nissans.

The maps pre-programmed into the S14 say, are different to the GTi-R maps.

Think about it for one second - why do Apexi sell the GTi-R specific PowerFC for nearly half as much again as for the other Nissans.

GET THE GTi-R ONE OR DON'T BOTHER - COS IT'LL BE A WASTE OF MONEY

M

memski

Before the RNN14 pro version was released, some tuners modified the sylvia version to work on the pulsar. The maps don't mean jack as you will need a remap once fitted anyway to suit your fuel and boost (standard Evo maps for example are supposed to be shite, one of the worst PFC's and shouldn't be run without a remap for any length of time).

T

T11EWL

memski said:
The maps don't mean jack as you will need a remap once fitted anyway to suit your fuel and boost
Sorry should have made that clearer - as Memski says, you can't run them straight-out-of-the-box - Infact you'd be lucky to get halfway down the road if you just plugged it in and went for a blast...

..but there are GTi-R programmes built into the Power FC which make it suitable for our engines - it may be possible to hot-wire one to run our engine (would be surprised if you could do it without taking the thing apart) but unless you can do it yourself, the bill for setting it up correctly would drastically outweigh the price of the -R specific unit.

JU5TY

While we are on the subject...

Has anyone (memski) worked out what the additional ‘Pro Spec CPU’ is for the Power FC? There was some talk of it being a drag chip. Which could possibly mean Launch Control? :D

M

memski

Yes Justy, it has 2 extra functions to the stock unit. One allows ignition cut at rev limit to save the engine (better than fuel cut), and more importantly theres a 0km rev limit (i.e. launch control). I've got the drag spec rom but can't access the launch control feature - will be getting the datalogit software once I get some cash :oops: :p

Clive at RC claims the stock gtir maps aren't that bad (as bad as the evo ones anyway), I ran mine for about a month (but took it really easy) until I got it tuned.

zia

have you got the handheld controller? have you tried adjusting anyitems
i.e spark,fuel, boost am just interested if you can adjust these in real time.
obviously any drastic changes can cause huge problems. the fact that you can control these paramters is good bonus compared with other chips etc

zia

M

memski

Yeah I've got the commander, you can change certain features in real time. I don't play about with it, have changed the afm to z32 to see what happens and the idle changes instantly as you change it. Boost is controlled by my avcr, you need a boost module kit to get it to work with the PFC.

Jobi Joba

memski said:
Yeah I've got the commander, you can change certain features in real time. I don't play about with it, have changed the afm to z32 to see what happens
Great!!!You'll be able to explain how I have to do that mod whebn I have mine!!! :D

A

Anonymous

While we're on the subject of Power FC's...

Besides being more user programable what advantages do these have over say a unichip?

I was gonna get one a while ago but now I'm thinking I probably won't end up using half the stuff on there, so why don't I just save some money and go for the chip option.

My thinking is once it's setup besides when you're adding other mods is there anything else you're gonna really need to do to the ECU?

So should I go Unichip or Power FC?

Dale

chrisniss91

I am currently trying to decide between Unichip or Power FC,
One question though can i use my Greddy boost controller with the Power FC :?:

JU5TY

You would need the commander to set the ECU up Chris. Unless the tuner has one they can use to set it up.