AP Brakes

tomble

Hi, i have just bought myself my second R after being without one forf 3 years! - feels good to be back!

Anyways, the car i have just purchased is pretty much standard other than a Mongoose, and a set of huge AP racing four pots with separate rotors to the bells.

The problem i am having is that i seem to be experiencing brake judder, asif the rotors may be warped? i know the history of the car and that i was owned by an older woman since import who used it purely for the odd trip to town (she had the brakes fitted too) so i find it hard to believe she drove it hard enough to warp the disks? the car has been standing for a while an there was a fair bit of corrosion on the surface of the disks, could this have messed them up in some way?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Tom

jjs

is the judder not coming from the rear brakes ? i have sp'd as well and was geting brake judder but it was caused by the rear discs Jim.

tomble

Well the rear disks are totally shagged so i'll change them and hope that solves it, dont fancy buying any AP rotors just now!

jjs

good chance thats what it is , you would feel that through the pedal as well if they are baddly pitted .

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
it was owned by an older woman since import who used it purely for the odd trip to town (she had the brakes fitted too) so i find it hard to believe she drove it hard enough to warp the disks?

She needed huge AP 4 pots to pootle to the shops and back:lol: She wasn't Vicky Butlet Henderson or Sabine Schmitz was she?

Does the car have ABS? It may be over braked and kicking in all the time.

Some pads need hard use or they leave deposits on the discs which can cause judder when braking.

Check the disc run out if you want to know for certain.

tomble

Yeah i know, i was very supprised to see those beauties under the rims! not the cheapest brake upgrade option either...

I will let you know how i get on after i've changed the rear disks over. For the record, the car is running EBC green stuff's upfront, are they quite a hard compound of pad?

Tom