Anyone got a lower balljoint handy to measure?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
With the new MOT regs on balljoint dust covers (failure now if missing/split) I found some covers on ebay which is cheaper than replacing the whole balljoint.

Has anyone got a balljoint handy where the could measure the top and bottom holes and the height of the boot?

BTW, are our ball joints press in or a complete lower arm replacement? Seen both referred to while searching.

This sort of thing clicky

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I think they're a press-in, but for the cost of a wishbone with a new balljoint in it I just replace the lot.

red reading

Our ball joint are press in with a locking circlip, you can replace them with gti ones but you do need to do a bit of work to fit them.

Mr B

Done mine with ADL or Solid-Ace (can't remember) ball-joints from gti/primera 16v, was straight forward press replacement.
Quality on ADL or Solid-Ace is very good so will last well if fitted right & I doubt rebooting existing ones will be a long term repair

red reading

The gtir ball joints are 1mm smaller than the gti/ primera etc, you should take the knurled area down off the aftermarket ones in a set of soft jaws in a lathe or open the wishbone up slightly with a die grinder and sanding disc....then press them in........pressing them straight into the wishbone is not the best idea with out the machining as 1mm is a lot to stress the wishbone with for a tolerance fit.....the ball joints are about a £10 from a motor factors.

Mr B

No knurling on ones I had. they where made by 555 Japan & sourced from Barum AP from Solid-Ace parts range. Worth checking with a good motor factors as have a feeling ADL & Solid-Ace have specific part number for GTiR .

P

pulsarboby

karl the one you posted up in ebay link will fit fine
the top part is 16mm and bottom is 30mm

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Cheers evevryone. I'll try the dust covers first as there's no play in the ball joint, so I'm guessing it's still OK.

I never even realised you could get the dust covers for these until yesterday. I always though it was a balljoint replacement.