Anyone got a 52mm koyo rad fitted?

whytie

I'm looking to order one of these but I've got concerns of it hitting my manifold.

I'm wondering if the front is in the original place and comes 52mm towards the engine or if it protrudes forward past the original position towards the front bumper.

Not sure if that makes sense

vpulsar

I had one fitted to my last car with and a bigger turbo is the standard position the only real problem was I had to run one fan on the front and one in the standard position, But I'm sure you don't really need one that big, Just get the double width copper one instead.

Rob

whytie

I currently have a 30mm copper core fitted but was looking for something bigger

its the design of manifold that might cause me an issue

vpulsar

I currently have a 30mm copper core fitted but was looking for something bigger

its the design of manifold that might cause me an issue
Why do you need something bigger ?, The cooper rad is probably more than good enough that's all I'm fitting to my new car.

Fit a good oil cooler that would help engine temps because the water cools the engine oil as well through the heat exchanger, So if you have the oil temps under control so should the water temp.

Rob

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Why do you need something bigger ?, The cooper rad is probably more than good enough that's all I'm fitting to my new car.

Rob
Seriously Rob, don't bother. My copper one corroded in about 3 years, all most 30-40% of the fins fell out and there was huge gaps in the rad.

I binned mine and stuck a Koyo in there with a brand new thermostat, works fine on the road and track.

Going back to the original question, space isn't too much of an issue, as I run a 2871 with standard manifold. I've removed one rad fan, but apart from that everything fits well.

vpulsar

Going back to the original question, space isn't too much of an issue, as I run a 2871 with standard manifold. I've removed one rad fan, but apart from that everything fits well.
I did the same with my first set up but was using a bigger JDY turbo.

I'm sure whether the rad falls apart or not must be down to the quality of the Rad you bought it the first place mate, I'm not saying don't buy a big KOYO rad I did and it worked great but I don't think it's really necessary is my point, You have to look at controlling the engine temps as a whole not just the water, So AIR/WATER & OIL temps need to be looked at as a whole package.

It also depends what you intend to use the car for, If it's just a fast road car then I don't think you need to do much more than fit a good quality metal rad, And only because the plastic crap Nissan used just wasn't much use anyway, It also depends on how much boost and power your car has, Making room for the Koyo rad isn't a five min job so think about what you want first.

All I can say is I've never he heard of a Cooper rad falling apart before, But they're cheap enough anyway. If you buy one from someone like AbsoluteRadiator.com in the states I'm sure that the quality will not be an issue, Just email them and say you've heard about them falling apart and see what they say.

Rob

whytie

Nothing wrong with the rad I have fitted but as Id like to do some track days id like the extra cooling capacity.

its one of the pipe runs on my mani currently sits around 25mm from my current radiator, fitting the koyo will be tight, that's why I'm wondering if the koyo starts in the original position and 53mm towards the block or goes forward slightly towards bumper.

vpulsar

Nothing wrong with the rad I have fitted but as Id like to do some track days id like the extra cooling capacity.

its one of the pipe runs on my mani currently sits around 25mm from my current radiator, fitting the koyo will be tight, that's why I'm wondering if the koyo starts in the original position and 53mm towards the block or goes forward slightly towards bumper.
It will split the extra width right down the middle mate.

I think the set up you have is fine, If I was going to do anything I'd get the manifold and down pipe ceramic coated if I where you mate.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member

I'm sure whether the rad falls apart or not must be down to the quality of the Rad you bought it the first place mate, I'm not saying don't buy a big KOYO rad I did and it worked great but I don't think it's really necessary is my point, You have to look at controlling the engine temps as a whole not just the water, So AIR/WATER & OIL temps need to be looked at as a whole package.

It also depends what you intend to use the car for, If it's just a fast road car then I don't think you need to do much more than fit a good quality metal rad, And only because the plastic crap Nissan used just wasn't much use anyway, It also depends on how much boost and power your car has, Making room for the Koyo rad isn't a five min job so think about what you want first.

All I can say is I've never he heard of a Cooper rad falling apart before, But they're cheap enough anyway. If you buy one from someone like AbsoluteRadiator.com in the states I'm sure that the quality will not be an issue, Just email them and say you've heard about them falling apart and see what they say.

Rob
My copper rad was from Absolute Rads in the US, it was highly recommended on the forum at the time, so bought one thinking that this would be a good investment, and give it dues, it did work well. Only issue is that the black coating came off over the years and the rad corroded and big gaps were all that was left when I pulled it out!

I still run with my front mounted oil cooler so oil temps are good when under hard load/track use.
However after my rad issues, I've just gone Koyo so that it won't corrode and last longer that the copper one! I found it easy to fit and space-wise, not had any real issues.
I've not noticed any additional cooling on the temps gauge and with a brand new thermostat it should regulate the water temps accurately now.

I'm not saying that a don't buy a copper one, it's just my feedback from owning one and the issues/problems I had with it!

Food for thought anyway!

johnny gtir

Mishi moto alloy rad is bigger makes big difference is a great fit its not 53mm but is a decent size at a good price and a lot less clearance issues over the above

whytie

Cheers for the feedback, think I'll go for the koyo was just looking for a little info before I spent £370

red reading

500hp on track running standard thickness copper radiator in summer, and a small oil cooler. Now run a koyo more power and the same cooler and have no differance in temps....got to love data logging.