any ideas???

Daza

Hi everyone, have a little problem.
I was driving on the motorway at about 90mph when all of a sudden the car felt like it was holding back,like something was blocked, now when im on boost there seems to be a whistling noise. All hoses look intact I'm thinking that maybe the turbo is on its way out :shock: I am also running 1.2 bar of boost with forged pistons, metal headgasget etc. any help would be much appreciated.

daza.

A

AJ4

'ello. Not going to help, just wanted to say hello because you live in Gosport :D ( from Pompy / IOW )

Could be a hose come off or burst, any fault codes ?? :D

stugtir

In that case ill say hello too! :wink: im from pompy too! :D

As regard too your power drop on boost, Have you checked the manifold bolts recently and also the the gaskets from manifold to head and manifold to turbo, this could be where you are getting your whistling from?

Another check would be to take the inlet hose off the turbo, get your fingers in there and see if theres any play in the turbine shaft, you need to check to see if there is movement sise to side , up and down & in and out.

And as ross suggested do a fault code check to see if that comes up with anything?

http://bb.gtiroc.com/viewtopic.php?t=10984&highlight=fault+code+check+cheque

good luck mate

stu

is this a one-off or does it happen all the time?

If the turbo is whistling you might be running unlimited boost because something has dropped off. The loss of power might be down to det sensor retarding ignition etc...
It happened to Antgtir, but just a guess on my part tho, feel free to correct me.

P

petegtir

sounds exactly like a boost leak.

you may have burst a pipe or one of them has slipped a bit and is letting air out front a small gap on a joint.

get yourself a long big of hose. like a vac line or washer jet tube etc. stick one end in your ear and the other around the engine. check ALL the pipes on the eigine, even the ones you cant get to down the back.

with your other hand rev the engine (or get a m8 to help) and this will force air into the pipes. the tube is like a doctors Stethoscope and will shut out all other sounds except the sounds at the end of the hose.
its really helpful to pin point noises.

the other trick is to get loads of fairly liquid and stick it in a bucket of water. soak EVERY pipe joint with a rag or sponge. try not to get the engine or electricks wet. as you rev the engine after its all wet, you will get bubbles around any air leaks.

good luck

Daza

thanks alot to all ur replys :D Ill have to have a proper look at the weekend as i dont get in from work till 8:30pm :cry:
as has this happened before,well the whistling was never there but the quick drop in power has sometimes happened when the engine has just been started (or from cold) which makes me think that it could be the turbo where the engine hasnt warmed properly! (And I do normally wait for the engine to warm) :)

Hello back to the local R's :D