another tip! with clock prob's

P

pulsarboby

just found something out today and thought i would share it with you's:)

as we all know, the speedo clock units on our piles of shite are just as shite as the car so many people swap the clock assemblies after either mullering their own by fitting white dials or through the clocks packing up themselves.

ok there are (as some will know) 2 types of clock assemblies being the earlier antilock and later abs ones as well as those that were made without abs.
i always thought that the two were not interchangable untill today that is.
in a nutshell the wiring harness is different on earlier and later model cars....but today i needed a set and only had the earlier style ones that needed to go on a later car....after looking at the printed circuit board on the back of the assembly and noting they were different i was wondering about cutting the wiring and altering the connections round to suit the older style clocks but then i had a brainwave:shock:

its so simple i dont know why i never thought of it before:der:
all you have to do is swap the printed circuit board over from one set to the other lol (fitment is exactly the same)
all works fine n dandy, so hopefully that will now put pay to those that want to fit abs clocks to antilock and visa versa

ollydj

ummm useful piece of advise that bob, shame i didnt know that before i told smo i couldnt buy his because they were different to mine.

turbodaily

it appears that your not 100% right on this one bobby! :p

i had to do the above over the weekend, had a set of late spec clocks and a set of early clocks.

the fuel gauge works fine and so does the speedo, but the rev counter and temp gauge do not work properly (temp gauge was giving incorrect readings and the rev counter was going mad intermitantly.

if you look at the circuits closely you will notice a few wires go to different plugs and one of the circuits has resistors on the temp gauge section, but the other circuit had noi resistors on the circuit but on the temp gauge unit itself (the other does not)

this was my findings anyhow. so it a nutshell, you can run either circuit on any clock set and the fuel and speedo will work as normal, but you need to use the rev counter and temp gauge that belongs to the circuit on the back.

P

pulsarboby

thats strange:?
the one i swapped over works fine both rev counter and temp gauge!

il check out another set to see if theres any other differences, only other thing i can think of is one set may be uk clocks which then wouldnt work