another oil pressure fault

P

purplemonster

has anybody ever stripped an oil pump and tested how strong the pressure relief valve is ?
i have stripped many in my time ,but the R spring seems very very weak ?
plus i have an oil pressure problem ?

when i unscrewd the relief valve there was very little pressure behind it ? normal the bolt is tight all the way out due to the spring tension ?

when i have rebuilt pumps in the past fitting the spring back in can be a pain in the arse ,as the spring is so strong ?

any ideas ?

PLus im looking for a price and part number for a pump and or individual pump parts to rebuild it

ROBERT

P

purplemonster

sort of ?

on the old engine the oil was 70psi from cold and droped to below 20psi after a 10 min run at approx 45mph ,basically travelling to work ,and if i leave it idle will drop to 10psi ,i have changed the gauge and sender as i can check the pressure more accuratly

with another engine ,basically a spare engine with new shells and pistons ,but with out a new pump
fitted it today and started it for the first time ,and was 76psi from cold but quickly dropped to 24psi after 5mins idling and a little revving to 3000rpm

i changed the engine thinking the old engine was warn and losing the pressure past the shells etc ?

? any idea

P

purplemonster

well i bought a new pump today from nissan £288 and ill fit that tomorow and should have some improvement ? if not ill have piece of mind that my new bottom end has a new pump ,i should have changed it anyway

so ill se th differemce and post on the baord for peeps to compare with theres

ROBERT

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
So was the 24psi at idle or when you revved it to 3000rpm? What pressure do you get above 3200rpm?

P

purplemonster

24 was at idle ,and not even fully warmed up
and rose to 70psi at 3000

i guess a nice run and fully warmed up it would be back in the high teens ?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If it's high teens at idle that's OK as it only has to be more than 14psi.
It has to be between 50 and 64psi above 3200rpm

M

Muppet

thanks again for the replies

i was expecting much higher oil pressure on idle for a new rebuilt engine ?
im fitting a pump now for piee of mind ? and if its the same then ,the gauge is being remove as ill be watching it all the time otherwise lol

robert

Shaun

:D Mines been fine for the last 5 days,until yesterday :cry: started playing up again :wink: Think i'm going to have to go for the new gauge route,as its being to intermitent to test with a pressure test kit :!: One minute it's ok next minute it's wonkey,AAAAAHHHHHH :!: It's doin me fookin ed in :?

Shaun

:D Hi guy's,found out summin that might be of help :!: Been in touch with Ian at HITEQ,and he say's that the pumps are a swine to do in situe(can be done but very aukward)So he say's before going in to the expence,first drop the sump cover and check the pickup rose as occasionally they can get blocked,hence causing low oil pressure.Also they have been known to come loose,also causing the same low pressure symtems :wink:Worth a shot me thinks :!:

P

purplemonster

WELL i changed my pump today ,wasnt too bad to do in place ,

as the engine is new ,the pick up etc was all squeaky clean

but didnt make much difference to my oil pressures

im in the mid to high 20s on idle(before was low teens ) but now hitting 70psi at 3200 where before i was lucky to get in the 40s

so well worth changing the pump

Shaun

:D Sorted my oil problem out in the end :!: Changed the standard gauges and senders with aftermarket ones :shock: Everything is working fine now,thank goodness :!: I've got 31/32psi at 85deg's :!:

O

Olly

I had some funny readings a while back :lol: changed my sender unit for a new one £60 and now i am getting the readings i thought i should have and some more :D

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Olly,

So the problem lies with the sender then does it, I've been getting some very erratic readings lately.

umm :roll: Do I change the standard electrical gauge for an after market mechanical one or just get a new sender.................what to do???