another gearbox question

A

AndrewD

ok ive got a question here for all the owners that have modded their gearboxes, have any of you guys had your OEM (original) gearbox and its components strength hardened???

instead of replacing the box with a quaife kit etc

A

Anonymous

devylboi said:
ok ive got a question here for all the owners that have modded their gearboxes, have any of you guys had your OEM (original) gearbox and its components strength hardened???

wouldn`t be worthwhile by the time you removed,refitted box and did a complete strip/rebuild.plus you wouldn`t gain that much extra strength.
sorry but it`s a no brainer :(

O

Odin

oap-r said:
wouldn`t be worthwhile by the time you removed,refitted box and did a complete strip/rebuild.plus you wouldn`t gain that much extra strength.
At least I kept mine short and sweet :roll: :wink: .

rob

A

AndrewD

oap-r said:
devylboi said:

once youve said that the time involved etc i can see your point ;)

but as for gaining much more strength, you can greatly (in the order of 4 fold or more) increase the strength of materials just by changing the internal grain structure, not including any cold work!!! but the extra money maybe not??

S

seanleed

What temperature and how quickly do you have to cool the parts if you're freezing them with nitrogen? Not that I'm going to do it, I'm just curious :)

A

AndrewD

seanleed said:
What temperature and how quickly do you have to cool the parts if you're freezing them with nitrogen? Not that I'm going to do it, I'm just curious :)
it all depends on what sort of strength you need, and thats often the key is getting the rate right

also its not often just a one step wonder if you know what i mean, it often has to be cold worked and then reheated to an intermediate temp and then coldworked again, etc etc

A

Anonymous

I've had mine shot peened/hardened. If you a fitting a clutch, etc it should only cost a few quid more and should give 30% increase in strength. I wouldn't go and run 500bhp through it mind but 3-400 shouldn't munch it if you don't go too silly!

Cheers,
Dunc