annoying whine

rocafella

well my water pump seized the other day so i got it to the local garage was expecting a huge bill but 100 bucks supplied an fitted with new alternator belt and p/s + waterpump belt.

anyway jumped in the car an noticed there was a whine once the new water pump had been fitted, took it back to them they couldnt diagnose it.

it sounds like a supercharger or a remote controlled car, an by the sounds of it its coming from the powersteerin pump/water pump/alternator side of the engine bay !

oh its a blueprint oe replacement.

i dont have a clue what it could be, any had a similar prob after fitting water pump ?

cheers ross:thumbsup:

STU666V

It sounds like one of your belts are to tight? Push your finger on the belt and see how much you can move it. I think you should be able to turn your belt a 1/4 turn, so if your belt is running flat turn it so its up and down if that makes sence.
Hope this helps?

DanDud

If the belts fine check the level in the power steering bottle, if its too low it makes a whining noise, my friends impreza did it, just topped the fluid up and kept turning the wheel from lock to lock till the noise dissapeared.

rocafella

ah, i'l giv tht a try to bud. the garage might have removed one of the hoses tht goes to the resivour to make it easy to get in about the pump.

rocafella

LeeSmith said:
do you have a passenger? possibly a woman? as this maybe your problem...
lmao for once no it wasnt the missus !

pas fluid level is good gonna try slackening off the belt later c if it makes a difference.

cheers for the replys guys

rocafella

yeah i shoulda mentioned, the belt was overtightened a bit. loosened it off a tad an it was fine so thanks all for the suggestions !