Air/Fuel Gauge

saddler

Im going to try and fit a wideband AFR Gauge.. And want to know where the probe would need to be fixed ?

saddler

KF79GTIR said:
In your downpipe just before the cat will be fine. Kev.
there is a probe already there but im not to sure what it does..:oops: there is no way to fix the new probe into my mongoose

Last edited:

GTIR-LOZ

if you have the cat replacement silencer then the hole in that is for the temperature probe for the car you need to get the bung supplied welded onto the pipe upstream from that, take it to an exhaust place they will be able to drill the pipe and weld the bung on easily

Braveheart

Sure you can fit it before the cat and into your mongoose.... just fit make sure you fit it well away from the outlet as it can't take that amount of heat and fit the boss in a way that the probe can't / does not have moisture sitting on it. 10deg downwards is advised. The AEM instructions are well written!
Here's where I put mine.

GTIR-LOZ

is it me or does that bung face about 90 degrees when its all fitted up to the car, i thought they were suposed to be as far upright as poss to stop moisture from settling on them, mine sits in the top of the goose replacement silencer before the baffles and after the flange facing straight up and i put a hole in the heatshield to let it pass through, it seems to work well

Braveheart

Yes, the boss is sitting to the side of the exhaust... that's as far away from the turbo as I could get it with that down pipe. There is no room there to fit it vertically. The boss has been fitted pointing 10deg downwards towards the bottom of the pipe so I do not exspect problems with sitting moisture. I'll let you know how it performs if and when I get the car running.

saddler

Braveheart said:
Yes, the boss is sitting to the side of the exhaust... that's as far away from the turbo as I could get it with that down pipe. There is no room there to fit it vertically. The boss has been fitted pointing 10deg downwards towards the bottom of the pipe so I do not exspect problems with sitting moisture. I'll let you know how it performs if and when I get the car running.
How did you get on with it ??

Trondelond

I fitted mine in the cat replacement (it had a hole for it), and it's running pretty accurately. The readings while on the dyno yesterday were consistent with what the tuning place's lambda was showing.

saddler

Trondelond said:
I fitted mine in the cat replacement (it had a hole for it), and it's running pretty accurately. The readings while on the dyno yesterday were consistent with what the tuning place's lambda was showing.
what should have been there ??

Trondelond

The hole was meant for a lambda gauge, but I had to have the threads replaced as the dimesions were too small for the Bosch sensor. Of course - there's been a lot of debate regarding the placement of the sensor with regards to distance from the turbo - there was a hole in the cat replacemet, and I used it. ^^

It may not be ideal, but it saved me a lot of hassle. :D

Trondelond

Indeed I dit, even have some to spare! :) I went through the firewall - yes. I don't think there are any other places before the catreplacement I could really put it and still keep it a the recommended angle, as the 3" system takes too much space.

I've placed it like this for now.

Braveheart

saddler said:
How did you get on with it ??
I have not completed my mods but confident that the chosen location will be fine.
The car will be driven in anger on track so I'll keep you posted.
Sure if it's fitted further back, closer to or where the OE (secondary) cat sensor was and it works is a safer location (less heat) but make sure it's pointing downwards and not collecting moisture.