advice please. Intergrale problem

Matty B

Hi people, just need someone to confirm what i think please.

Basically my old man as been out and bought himself another Lancia Delta Intergrale. He got it as a non runner as it had been standing for about 5 years. When we got it back to the yard we did the usual bits, new battery, oil and air filters, new oil, fuel filter, new petrol, plugs etc etc. It started straight up and ran beautifully believe it or not :-D. It did have a small amout of smoke when starting but i just put that down to standing.
My Dad then took it for a drive and came back about 20 mins later, as soon as he pulled up i took a look underneath to check for any leaks and ofcourse ( being a Lancia :doh:) there was one. It is coming from the intercooler pipe where it joins to the intercooler and seems to be a mixture of oil and water. The old chap said he noticed some smoke from the exhaust on full throttle too, but not a alot.

I reckon the turbo is on its way out, what do you think ?.
And how do i tell him the bad news ? :sad:

Fire & skill

Vintage member
i'd clean out the I/C, repair the leak and try it again - there could have been a lot of moisture build up.

you never know, it may be ok

is it an 8v or a 16v?

Matty B

This one is an 8 valve. Its the cleanest one i've ever seen and he's had quite a few over the years. No rust whatsoever which is very rare on an intergrale. He recently sold his evo 2 for £13000 and this 8 valve is in far better condition than that.
I'll try what you said, be a result if the turbo is ok.

P

pulsarboby

yep agree with above.
if the cars been sitting for five years then it could be that some of the rubber seals have dried out and possibly are perished. but once they have been lubricated they maybe ok and stop leaking.

an old trick is put around 25ml of brake fluid in with the engine oil and run it up, this will swell the rubbers such as valve stem oil seals and any other seal that is oil dependant and may well cure the problem!

Matty B

Thanks chaps, i'll get back over there at the weekend and take another look. I'll get some pics too, im sure theres a few people on this site who can appreciate one of these beautys.