advice on intercoolers

S

swawuk

I want to get a front mount but dont know what to get. Make etc. Ive seen some on ebay with pipe run for £300, £350 from hong kong etc.... Will this just be cheap and nasty? Has anyone bought one for that amount? Any reccomendations on what to buy? Haven't got a huge budget.... I would like the radtech radiator/intercooler all in one. but cheapest i could find was £800.

Any help would be great, Cheers

Steve

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
If your budget is rather limited there is a fmic on ebay for £199 (2fast2cool), similar to the hybrid kits without the label. Not seen one up close but they seem to be of reasonable quality.

E-bay intercooler

gtirx2

I run the d2 power intercooler and i am well happy with it,it only cost £236 delivered and is pretty good quality.The only bad bit is over time the chrome plateing on the pipes starts to bubble a bit but even so for the money i am not complaning:) The intercooler is very good quality and i belive the actual intercoolers in all the kits be it d2,2fast, etc are all made by the same company hdi /hybrid.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/gtirx2/pic017.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/gtirx2/latecloseengine-1.jpg

G

gavmc18

i got my hybrid kit for around 300 pound aver a year ago im well impressed with it for the money was a toddle to fit aswell mines came with blue pipes for it which are a bit different aswell

gav

gtirneil

If your after the 2fast2cool intercooler of ebay let me know and ill try and get a group buy done as im after one aswell, sure we could get 5 people atleast.

Mr GTiR

gtirneil said:
If your after the 2fast2cool intercooler of ebay let me know and ill try and get a group buy done as im after one aswell, sure we could get 5 people atleast.
Please contact a member of staff if you want to do a group buy.

ram5ay

Hey mate, just a quick point to look out for when getting one of the cheaper mass produced coolers, see if you can get a look at the fins inside the cooler before buying, as I was looking into getting one of these before and found that some of the bar and plate type ones have a pretty poor design. They may look good from the outside, but I recon might not have done much to drop charge temps.

Here is pic of one that in my opinion isn't up to scratch, the internal fins simply have holes punched in them.

The fin type below is better, and although this design may give more of a pressure drop across the cooler, it will aggitate the air enough to cool it effectively.

All I am really saying is that not all of the hybrid type coolers are the same, the top pic was a hybrid type one I considered buying on ebay until I got the seller to send me some more detailed pics. I have however seen these type of cooler with internal fins like the bottom pic, and I've seen cars with these on make good power, so make sure and get one of the better ones if that is what you go for.

;-)

S

swawuk

cheers for the replys. bit confused what to do now. I am thinking of getting a forge intercooler which is dear as a gtir kit. but if i buy just the intercooler £434 instead of i/c and pipe run £728 I could get a universal pipe run kit for £100 of ebay...... but still not sure....hmmm

Keira

just buy the cheap one,

the same core matey says aint that good, the picture doesn't really show the core very well tbh worked well enough on a 500bhp evo and is doing well on a 500bhp gtir.

For what you're probably going to do with it, it will be more than fine

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
swawuk said:
cheers for the replys. bit confused what to do now. I am thinking of getting a forge intercooler which is dear as a gtir kit. but if i buy just the intercooler £434 instead of i/c and pipe run £728 I could get a universal pipe run kit for £100 of ebay...... but still not sure....hmmm
If you get the complete Forge kit it should fit well.If you buy the Forge I/C and get some universal pipe kit it might not fit so well if at all.