Advice on inlet turbo pipe

A

AZ STE

Hi,
Im removing the standard airflow meter to turbo pipe. There are three pipes going into this:-

1. Return from the standard dump valve
2. Small pipe going to a switch on the top right of the rocker(bleed?)
3. Crankcase breather

Obviously I can do away with the dump pipe but can you remove the crankcase one and simply fit a short pipe with a filter on it (anyone bought one and where) whats No 2 and does it need to be fed into the intake running standard with no Apexi etc yet.

Thanks as always :wink:

youngsyp

You can do away with the dump valve return. You should get a bung with any after market dump valve kit.
You're best off buying an aftermarket oil catch tank for the breather pipe. Then you won't have to re-direct it anywhere and it will allow you to remove the poor factory breather system.
No 2 is the solenoid take off and I think it is fairly important for car without aftermarket boost control. I think it helps the cars brain to decide how much boost it is running. You could buy a bleed valve and then you wouldn't need it although, I wouldn't advise this as they are fairly crude. Alternatively, another cheap way of getting rid of the factory boost control is to buy something called a relief valve. I have used one of these previously on my R and on my GT4 before that. It's basically a pressure switch, using a ball and spring valve in the vacumn line from the plenum to the actuator to control the boost pressure. Once the set pressure is reached, the valve opens and allows the actuator to control the boost. Benefits are that the spool up time is increased, due to the actuator seeing no vacumn until it needs to and they are fairly resilient to spiking. Also, you can have the boost set at what you like, depending on how quickly you want to melt a piston :wink: Have a look on ebay, they go for anything from about £20 up to around £45. You can usually tell from the pictures how good they are.

A

AZ STE

Many thanks for the info,
Regarding the oil catch tank from the rocker cover the pipe splits then one goes to the catch tank one to the inlet pipe.Is the catch tank a sealed unit as if it isnt coulnt I just send the pipe from the rocker cover to the catch tank removing and blanking the pipe to the inlet :?:

youngsyp

The OE catch tank/oil seperator is a sealed unit so you can't do what you were thinking i.e. sealing the rocker cover to intake pipe hose.
I think you may get away with your first idea though. I.e. putting one of those little filters on the end of the breather pipe. You would however, need to have the pipe facing upwards and higher than the rocker cover outlet in order for any oil residue to flow back into the sump or rocker cover.

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
I've put a mini Pipercross filter on the end of my crankcase hose (pointing upwards of course :) ) and it works a treat.

If you're getting rid of your boost solenoid, let me know :D