adjustable suspension mounts

D

deslynam

Have asked about this elsewhere but haven't had much response, apart from offers of stuff for sale...

I've got Tein super-street coilovers on my 'R, and would like people's opinions on getting adjustable top-mounts.
I've been offered pairs of front and rear mounts for ~ £100 each, Tein front & Cusco rear.

My questions are these:
1) Are they worth the effort in purchase price and installation cost? I.E. Do they really allow you to dial-out a noticeable amount of understeer?

2) How difficult is it to fit? I.E. Could I just use some of the often-posted figures for other people's angle settings?

3) Are there any negative repercussions when fitting them? Does the change of geometry cause wear of other parts?

4) Is it really only Tein & Cusco that make them? I'm told that top mounts are much preferred to the whiteline camber bolt option, but these are a heck of a lot cheaper...

Mr GTiR

Seeing as no one has answered i'll give you my opinion.

1) Yes, as i have driven a car with coilovers but with standard top mounts and they are worth the money.
2) They are easy to fit, as long as you know how to change suspension. I would only use the settings as a guide as you have to take into all sorts of different variables into consideration i.e. what size wheels you have, the pressure in the tyres, how worn are your bushes, how stiff are your coilovers etc? Once fitted your car should be 4wd laser aligned to get the correct setting for YOUR car.
3) Not as far as i'm aware. I've had coilovers and adjustable top mounts (f&R) for 4 years now and not worn anything out. But saying that i've driven a car with a bad set up and worn the tyres out. It's important to get it set up for your car.
4) Yes only Tein and Cusco make them. Camber bolts are cheaper and do work but are a very crude way of adjusting camber. Also, it's quite difficult to adjust them as they are hard to access compared to the top mounts.

Hope the above helps and are only my opinions.

D

deslynam

Thanks very much for the input, and in double quick time too!

It seemed to me that they were more or less the last thing I'd need to do without getting too an**lly retentive about the setup, or indeed spending a fortune in the process.
They're pretty much the last thing I'll bother doing with the 'R as I just want it to be a more useful weapon for the occasional trackday, but it's cost a fortune to get working right so far as it is so don't want to end up causing problems down the line...

So... anyone else got any mounts for sale? :)

Mr GTiR, I may be able to swing a discount on them from TDI-North (formerly System R), don't suppose you know much about them, do you?

Mr GTiR

deslynam said:
Mr GTiR, I may be able to swing a discount on them from TDI-North (formerly System R), don't suppose you know much about them, do you?
Ring either Paul or Mark and tell them Andy Chan sent you and you'll deffo get a discount ;-)

Not sure how much they are as mine came with them fitted.

But if you look on the net or Ebay then you'll get them cheap.

Andy

D

deslynam

Nice one, cheers. I'm either gonna mention you or Paul with the souped up CTR (and now a fancy Mines Skyline as well!) :D
Haven't found them cheap anywhere. Front Teins are now down to £141 inc VAT RRP, but rears are 50% more than that. :(

Mr GTiR

I know Paul and Mark well as that's where we had our last N/W rolloing road shootout. This years will be at the same place as well.

I know quite a few of our N/W R's have been to them and have all come back very happy with the work done ;-)

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
deslynam said:
Haven't found them cheap anywhere. Front Teins are now down to £141 inc VAT RRP, but rears are 50% more than that. :(
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I didn't realise they were that much on there own.

I can't fault anything Andy has said but if you are strapped for cash and to use your words do not want to get anal over supsension settings then why not just fit some cheap camber bolts for 25% the cost. As Andy says they are a very coarse adjustment and if you if you don't Torque them up correctly they can become loose but they are a cheap way to add or remove 0.5-1.0degress of camber.

I had originally considered buying some adjustable top mounts for my rears but had the camber bolts to hand and after some inital problems are working out fine now.

£40, stick em on the front, dial in the maximum camber change and see if you find the rear too tail happy in which case stick them on the back too and adjust accordingly ;-)

However, if you do want to get all anal over it, read one of my stickies ;-)

Jim

D

deslynam

Oh believe me I've already read them!! :lol:
Luckily I think I'd already picked up on what options there are, what's worth a punt & what isn't with these, etc... So the upper-mounts were to be my last thing (possibly corner weighting later in the year if I'm still doing trackdays in it 6months down the line*).
Thanks anyway though guys, will keep it in mind when i'm over at my servicing garage in a few days getting some other stuff done.
Will see if they've any experience of fitting this stuff to their rally cars and if not i'll go somewhere that does. ;)

* i.e. if it hasn't self-destructed by then! :)

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I'm glad somone found it of interest ;-)

top mounts are far more accurate for adjustment but will do a similar job.

good luck with your fiddling,
Jim

D

deslynam

D2 mounts? Didn't think they sold them seperately to be honest, do tell more... (if you know anything else about them, that is) :)