ABS fault...Help!!!

K

kentyboy

Hi guys. My ABS light has come on . I found the ABS control unit and did the self diagnostic test and the LED flashed 10 times indicating there is a problem with my solenoid valve relay. I followed the test procedures (No 11) as outlined in another thread but both my relays seem to be operating correctly. Is there a chance that the controller itself could be the faulty component or do i need to start tracing wires back and looking for wiring faults. Anyone else had this problem? Any comments and suggestions would be greatly recieved!! Thanks peeps.

Fazz

I take it you have checked your fuse for this lad?? taking out fuse causes light on and no abs...

Seems you're better off without it anyway!

Assume if you did the diag then its more complicated.

Make way for mechanics...

Last edited:
K

kentyboy

Yes matey I checked the fuse so i think its going to be a bit more involved. If the light is still on at MOT time, then it'll fail :-(

K

kentyboy

It'll still fail the MOT because the bulb doesnt work though!!

Fire & skill

Vintage member
kentyboy said:
It'll still fail the MOT because the bulb doesnt work though!!

no mate - if there is no abs fault lamp lit on the dash then it wont fail its mot, you have to disconnect the abs as well. just unplug the ecu and if you wanted it back on just repair it after its test.

My R doesn't have abs either, i'd just do without it if i was you

J

jpward

kentyboy said:
Hi guys. My ABS light has come on . I found the ABS control unit and did the self diagnostic test and the LED flashed 10 times indicating there is a problem with my solenoid valve relay. I followed the test procedures (No 11) as outlined in another thread but both my relays seem to be operating correctly. Is there a chance that the controller itself could be the faulty component or do i need to start tracing wires back and looking for wiring faults. Anyone else had this problem? Any comments and suggestions would be greatly recieved!! Thanks peeps.

Told you it wouldnt be long didn't I!! :lol:

Is your Anti Lock coming in under hard braking or off completely?

K

kentyboy

Fire & skill said:
no mate - if there is no abs fault lamp lit on the dash then it wont fail its mot, you have to disconnect the abs as well. just unplug the ecu and if you wanted it back on just repair it after its test.

My R doesn't have abs either, i'd just do without it if i was you
Im an MOT tester matey. If the car is fitted with ABS, the light must work. It must follow the correct illumination sequence or it will fail.

Jpward, my ABS isnt working at all. If i anchor up, the wheels lock. Any ideas matey?

K

kentyboy

Ha ha!! :)
I know I can test my own car but if I decide to sell it with a 'dodgy' MOT on it then its my neck on the line. I dont do dodgy i'm afraid :)
Looks like im gonna have to get my multimeter out again then chaps!

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
The way I understand it is, if a car is fitted with abs brakes then in order for it to pass an MOT the ABS has to be fully working and the light showing the correct illumination process or it has to be stripped from the car completely, i.e. all the sensors, cables, ABS ECU, everything has to be stripped.

Unless you remove the ABS check bulb and fuse and you know the MOT checker is a bit......................................:der:

J

jpward

stevepudney said:
The way I understand it is, if a car is fitted with abs brakes then in order for it to pass an MOT the ABS has to be fully working and the light showing the correct illumination process or it has to be stripped from the car completely, i.e. all the sensors, cables, ABS ECU, everything has to be stripped.

Unless you remove the ABS check bulb and fuse and you know the MOT checker is a bit......................................:der:
Most of us know this but still better to have it working in my book going on past experience :oops:

K

kentyboy

Anyway, just to bring this back to the top, anyone have any ideas? I might have to just go through every ABS procedure till I find a fault :-(

K

kentyboy

Sorted.......well, for the time being! Someone had removed the soleniod fuse. Popped a new one in and the light went out. Great!