5th Gear Slippage (cant be good) and Drafty Door

A

Az

As thread title suggests really...

5th gear has started to slip now under load which must mean clutch is on last legs. Would changing the clutch master cylinder stop this or is it a new clutch job? If so, how much :oops: :(

Also the driver side is quite drafty after about 70mph. The door is not quite sat right and makes doesn't sound too good when shutting. Is it easy to re-hang the door? Easy to do?

Thanks for your help :)

Keira

sounds like the hinges have dropped.

you could try getting a bottle jack under the door and lifting it abit, might work. As for the wind noise, you can bend the door inwards ever so slightly or replace the rubbers, did mine last week and has quietened it down a fair bit, think they were £40 ish each

B

Brett G

Clutch could be going unless you have just topped up the fluid and over fillled it :?: Its just a thought as it happened to me :wink:
As for the door mine has dropped and does exactly the same :(

Brett

Stevo

clutch is about 200-300 for a good one,
get mike x-gtir to fit it his cheaper then any dealer.

i get the same, my door seals have wornen so im gonna replace them

A

Az

Thanks for the replies. Kinda nice to know I'm not the only one with a dropped and drafty door :? :oops: :) I'll give it a "bend" tomorrow and see if that helps. The dropped bit doesn't annoy me too much (sounds crap when shutting I know) but the drafty draftness grates the hell out of me :x :shock: :x

Stevo said:
clutch is about 200-300 for a good one,
get mike x-gtir to fit it his cheaper then any dealer.

i get the same, my door seals have wornen so im gonna replace them
Thanks for that. Does Mike work for a garage or just privately? Do you have a tel no you could PM me so I can give him a call.

P.S - Made it to Thruxton and back today with my dodgy clutch (tried not to use 5th, even on dual carriage way) :oops: :oops: Also noticed it sometimes crunches changing into 5th gear :( Could that be the clutch being knackered or possible gearbox too? :cry:

Keira

mikes on honeymoon as of tomorrow, he will be gone for 2 and abit weeks.

mine used to crunch into 5th but i was lucky that it was sh1t gearbox oil, so dont fear the worst.

youngsyp

While you are having the clutch done, get the fluid changed at the same time. A lot of people use Redline MT-90 or Castrol Syntrax but, you could try Silkolene Syn 5. All the scooby guys use it and I bet our resident Oilman would recommend it :wink: Get the flywheel skimmed as well. Just for peace of mind.

As for the crunching, it could be that the clutch plate springs are stretched/worn/not as taught meaning that the clutch will slip when loaded up i.e. in 5th with boost and won't disengage fully causing the graunching.

You can still use 5th, just try not to overtake in it or go up a hill at low speed. Basically, anything that will load the clutch up too much.

Cheers

Paul