4th cylinder chucking oil

dazzagtir

Hey guys, ive just bought an R for 1300 and I was told it was the turbo that was buggered because it had lost all power and it was chucking smoke out the exhaust. There was also loads of oil leaked everywere and all under the car. Ive just taken the turbo off and it seems ok? But there is loads of oil leaking from the 4th cylinder after taking the manifold off. Any ideas?? Im guessing a melted piston? :doh:

dazzagtir

Took the turbo and manifold off and noticed the WET (oil) 4th cylinder. So after examining the turbo i bunged up the oil feed lines to the turbo and started it up. Car ran and obviously very loud! Turned it off after running for about 5 seconds and noticed there was oil seeping from the 4th cylinder. absolutly gutted. :( because ive just bought a new turbo for £350.

P

pulsarboby

irishjohn said:
could be blown ring lands...compression test time.
definately, big trouble with no 4 piston not even worth comp testing, engine out and hopefully bores not damaged. think youll find a melted piston in there;-)

dazzagtir

Very gutted about this. :( It seems just to do the headgasket the engine needs to be removed anyway. Im not a mechanic so im not that great at working on engines etc. But now the turbo is off and it doesnt seem to be that, I think im going to have to start preping the engine to come out. :( Now I remember why I had to sell my last pulsar! you need to have a never ending pocket.

dazzagtir

The R belonged to my mate who has had it for a few years and bought it from a car dealer. In the whole time he owned the car I never seen him put his foot down once! the car is completly standard and gets left standing for a few months at a time because he couldnt aford the fuel because he would rather spend his money on drugs!! :( very sad!!! And about a month ago he took it for a drive and suddenly it lost loads of power and smoked loads. he was told by a mechanic the turbo was gone. So I offered him £1300 for it.

gunmetalgtir

dazzagtir said:
The R belonged to my mate who has had it for a few years and bought it from a car dealer. In the whole time he owned the car I never seen him put his foot down once! the car is completly standard and gets left standing for a few months at a time because he couldnt aford the fuel because he would rather spend his money on drugs!! :( very sad!!! And about a month ago he took it for a drive and suddenly it lost loads of power and smoked loads. he was told by a mechanic the turbo was gone. So I offered him £1300 for it.
:doh: You should have offered him less mate or at least found out what was wrong with it first! :doh:

Hope you manage to get this sorted soon mate, restore that R to its former glory!! :thumbsup:

dazzagtir

Im working on this on my girlfriends parents driveway so at the moment I dont have use of an engine crane etc. I only have pretty basic tools. I took the rocker off to check to see if the stem seals leak! and they seam fine. So I Rotated the engine so the 4th piston was all the way down and the exhaust valves were closed and i poured oil down the "spark plug hole" in the hope to fill it up and see how long it took for the oil to drain slowly to see if there was a hole in the piston. well the oil drained quicker that i could pour it in. :( lol. hopefully get the engine out on the weekend or next.

I

irishjohn

you dont have to pull the engine yet..pull the oil pan off and the head and then u can pull the #4 piston and connection rod out..if u are goining to run the car pretty stock and not going for big power yet just put a used piston in it and give it a hone unless you find the cylinder badly scored...its just a simple 4 cylinder engine after all and nothing exotic.

dazzagtir

But doesnt the engine need to be pulled out in order to remove the head? thats what it says on my mates vehicle data thingy lol.

dazzagtir

As expected 4th cylinder piston is F**KED,
Ive been working most days so havnt realy got the time do it all that quick which is a shamr because its got tax and test. Any one have any ideas how much this will cost to sort? Just so I have a rought idea using stock parts. Darrell

I

irishjohn

is the aluminum on the cylinder wall embedded..if not pull the pan and get the whole rod and piston assy out of there..hone and just put a stock piston back in...someone on here should have a good used one. check to see if there is a vacuum leak into that cylinder as it could be caused by going lean.

snoon

If the bore is goosed you may need to get a bigger set of pistons and have a full re-bore/rebuild.