3rd gear crunching

paz

I'm having an intermittent problem with my third gear. Apologies as I'm sure you've seen this type of post before.....

When I get in the car in a morning I can change up through the box fine, in fact the whole box is fine most of the time. Occasionally when I change down from 4th to 3rd I'll get a crunhin noise which sounds kind of like the noise a gear makes when it slots into place, but amplified.... i.e. its not a terrible crunching noise, more of a clink and crunch if that makes sense.

It then seems as though from the time the gear crunches for the first time when I'm going up through the box the third gear will sometimes crunch (but it never seems to do it going up before the first 4th-3rd crunch).

I've set myself to a gearbox rebuild once the gear goes altogether, does this sound like anything anyone else has had?

Some additional info for you. The car has recently had a new master clutch cylinder, the box oil got changed last friday (two days ago) and the clutch was reset on the same day to make it engage at a higher point (i.e. before it was reset it felt like i was pushing the pedal through the floorfor a smooth change).

I'd appreciate your opinions

Thanks

Paz

J

jasegould

Crunching gears can be a sign of worn syncromeshs, not a major problem, just a pain in the arse, try shifting a little slower or let the box spin down b4 shifting.