3071?

K9ng

I have a dilemma again :roll: I have a 3071,
do I go for the 0.64 or 0.86 exhaust housing?
I know the 0.64 has some surge issues.
How much laggier is the 0.86 in comparison to the 0.64?

I tend to change gear at 6.5k as the alternator belt has a tendency to come off
if revved to 7k! So maybe the 0.64 would be best with ported wastegate.
I also have standard cams and head just forged bottom end.

Any advice is much appreciated

PaulB

K9ng said:
I tend to change gear at 6.5k as the alternator belt has a tendency to come off if revved to 7k
Why on earth would it do that if it was the correct size belt and properly tensioned?

Well I run a 0.86ar 3071 on mine, and its a fantastic piece of kit, builds the boost lovely and pulls your head off when it comes on song. I think this turbo has been shown to have very little extra lag and is the 3071 of choice.

youngsyp

If your alternator belt comes off at 6.5k rpm, you have an issue. You should sort that before spending money on going faster !

The SR20DET might not be even making peak power at 6.5k rpm so, it seems like a silly reason to choose a turbo, just because a belt comes off ?!

Paul

K9ng

The belt problem has been there since day one!
I don't tend to ring the nuts off my car anyhow so going to 7k is not for me.
Paul B, when does your come on to boost?

youngsyp

K9ng said:
The belt problem has been there since day one!
I don't tend to ring the nuts off my car anyhow so going to 7k is not for me.
Paul B, when does your come on to boost?
Doesn't the water pump run on the same belt as the alternator ?! That could mean further issues with the car overheating !

As PaulB has said, if the belt is the right size and tensioned properly, it shouldn't come off...... unless the a pulley isn't running true !

And the engine is designed to rev to 7500 rpm. With the right set up, it'll still be pulling well at that speed (mine does with the standard turbo) so, by changing at 6500 rpm, you're not getting the most out of it ! ;-)

Paul

K9ng

I don't have any problems with overheating countless laps of Castle Combe and the Ring prove that! Back to my main question when does the boost come on with 0.86 housing?

PaulB

heres my power graphs here,

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45633&page=3

You can see power tails off at about 6750, but as your flying up towards it, you dont change gear till about 7200ish.

The water pump is run off the inner belt which runs the power steering aswell, either way, you must have the wrong belt on if you cant get it tensioned properly.

The water pump runs

gtir_pimp

bobs made around 415bhp and had plenty left! was a bit scared to go much further and its fast enough for his track days