rossdj1983

fired up my r for the first time today after my new motor quaife and 3071 had been on:thumbsup: but i can hear a high pitch whirring noise coming from somewhere, sounds like the turbo. do 3071's do this?

bracpan

I dont want to worry you but I have heard the same noise twice once on my old Hillclimb car and on a Pulsar. When you turned the engine off you could hear it whirring as it slowed down, both cars had the same result, blown Turbo with in a very short time.
I hope i am wrong.
Cheers
Phil

PS Where did you get the Turbo from?? pm me if you dont want to say on here.

rossdj1983

yeah it does kinda, thought i remember reading something like that somewhere. oh well better tell the mrs she dosent have to go on the game after all

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I don't hear the turbo on idle as there's too much noise else where but when you switch the car off its very clear for over 30s! This is quite normal or at least no one has yet killed their 3071 and everyone's does this.I posted for the same reason when I first installed mine. A few thousand miles on, 1.8Bar and no DV with no problems so far :)

bracpan

As I said hope its nothing, but that was the only time I have heard the turbo and the results were the same. They were also quiet just a gentle wirring noise that could be heard after the engine had stopped. One blew the first time it was driving in anger the second took a few weeks.
Ask who ever supplied it? They should be able to give some advice etc.
How does the car run with it? Is it a good improvement over the last Turbo.
Really hope everything is ok, as it does sound the norm on the 3071, but why on that Turbo?
Cheers
Phil

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
All the bb turbo's I've had in the past have made this whirring/turbine noise on spinning down, and as said it's far more audible when you turn the engine off, for at least 30 sec's.

If you here any other whistles when driving, specially when turbo just comes on boost, you probally have a small air leek in the intercooler pipe run somewhere.

Also, if you intend to run high boost eventually then I would pressure test your pipe run at some stage.

Last edited: