3071 turbo info

F

Fusion Ed

There is alot of talk recently on the 3071s and which AR ratio to go for etc, so I thought I would take the opportunity to show you some real life data.

Basically at the moment the 3071 is possibly the best turbo for the GTi-R. It has extreme response for such a large turbo and that really is what I wish to demonstrate in a real life situation.

The following graph is taken from Steve Pudneys GTi-R. He is running standard manifold with a 3071 and 0.86AR housing. Good points are he has removed the FSE fuel reg (thank god) has a lovely intercooler setup, full 3 inch exhaust (I think) with e-manage ultimate and the required options. The paragraph following the graph will explain the readout.

First of all there are four lines to this graph, light blue is throttle position, red is RPM, green is speed MPH not KPH, and finally yellow which is boost. There are two horizontal lines red and blue. They represent markers and can be seen on the right.
Marker one is blue (right column) and shows RPM 3280, speed 74mph, 0.14 bar boost, 26% throttle. Marker two, red (left column) shows 3569 rpm, 81 mph 99.4% throttle and 1.72 bar boost!!

Feel free to throw in your comments etc..

Fazz

holy mother firckin shite thats aquick spool up....

Care to share was that in third gear or is it 4th/5th?

Also care to divulge the power attained?? BHP and Torque?

F

Fusion Ed

Well power and torque can only be guessed, but its fair to say it should be good. That was in 4th gear, the time scale is along the bottom approximately two seconds between the two reference points.

mattygti-r

trust me its the turbo you want

went out in jimmybacks car the other day after ed had mapped it

good turbo choice, and affordable

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
mattygti-r said:
trust me its the turbo you want

went out in jimmybacks car the other day after ed had mapped it

good turbo choice, and affordable
That was clever Matt, your location still shows Tokyo ? or is that left there just to big up your image a little :lol:

Dooie Pop Pop

good result Ed and Steve:-D did you stop at 1.7bar then? how did Steve' s car perform in comparison to mine Ed? have you still got any info from my last tune up?

got a pm from Matty yesterday telling me that Jimmy' s car is slightly faster than mine.....yawn...:roll: :lol:

i said before it' d be good if the new standard tubby for the road going R was the 3071..maybe it' ll come true after all :thumbsup:

tbh though it probably wouldn' t have happened for ME if it hadn' t been for Ginga selling his to me and Ashills and Ed who first ran the turbo on Al' s car several years ago. its taken this long for the rest of you to catch onto the idea:lol:

t28' s are oh so dull in comparison:yawn:

cheers, Stu

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'm just waiting for the next even bigger turbo with even faster spool up to come along :nerner:

F

Fusion Ed

Dooie Pop Pop said:
good result Ed and Steve:-D did you stop at 1.7bar then? how did Steve' s car perform in comparison to mine Ed? have you still got any info from my last tune up?
I dont have any comparison logs I'm afraid, and its been a while since I was in your car so I cant really comment on comparisons. (Plus by the seat comparisons are not accurate anyway!)

Stopped for now due to time and the need to dampen the turbo response a tad. (the actuator gets a bit too twichy (if that makes sense) and the profec b was not liking it at all. I had something very similar on jimmybacks car the other week.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Love the thread... Some excellent results there...

Well done!...

Did you have any problems with the internal wastegate holding the boost..?

Rishi

F

Fusion Ed

No the internal seems fine. The only problem is the the response of the wastegate, I found at highr boost it needs dampening.

Rishi

Good for the people to know...

When the thread has run its course i'll add your findings to the FAQ section with all credit to you of course... There are so many people asking about this it would be good to have as a sticky with your findings...

Rishi

F

Fusion Ed

What I'll do if you prefer is to summarise this info into a thred after this has closed. I will have more data then.

ashills

also we supply these turbos with uprated 1 bar actuators so should reach near 2 bar via a boost controller

F

Fusion Ed

These stronger actuators may also help with the hyperactive response. It may be another thing to try :)

Rishi

Fusion Ed said:
What I'll do if you prefer is to summarise this info into a thred after this has closed. I will have more data then.

Perfect... What to do is post it in the FAQ Tuning section anddrop me a PM and i'll make it a Sticky... ;-)

Rishi