3071 fitting

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
As my R was starting to run well I felt the need to tear it apart again and finally fit the turbo... even though my engine management (PFC) has an issue, I wanted to keep the project moving forward again.

4 hours later, the turbo off and dismantled (though it dd take an hour to remove one exhaust manifold bolt :evil: :oops: )

I still needed a few gaskets but thought I'd assemble as a test to see what fits.... and what didn't :(

The bolts on the downpipe elbow are in a marginally differnet position to the compressor side on the 3071. The Nissan gasket for this is also out but perfect for a T28. My only soultion is to drill out a few of the holes on the elbow by 1mm or so but before I started doing this thought I'd see what other peoples experiences were.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
yep, nothing special. standard downpipe and gasket.

The other common problems of tight actuator and oil return pipe I've sort of solved. Its just this.

Dooie Pop Pop

just elongate the holes on the elbow mate, its just another one of 'those things'.... you' ll have to do the same to the oil drain flange too;)

Last edited:
O

Odin

So you've had to go through what we went through at last you tightwad :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Yes the actuator can be very tight to get in :cry: I still haven't made up a proper actuator bracket :oops: I'm still using a b@stardised standard one held on with only one bolt :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

The exhaust elbow just needs a bit of tweeking as does the oil return pipe ;-) .

Rob

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Dooie Pop Pop said:
about time you got that absolute bargin of a turbo on.....how longs it been sitting?....waiting:lol

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

a year, maybe....

My PFC issues were always holding me back, that and other cars :roll:

I'm thinking of going the e-manage route stu as I was warned against it above 350-400hp but it doesn't seem to be causing you any problems.

First job is get the turbo running though. Thanks for your help gents.

For elongating the holes, did you use an engineering shop or grind it yourself?

For the oil return pipe Rob, I'ts already go a modified pipe on the turbo so I just need a longer piece of hose.

If Nissan have the gaskets in it should all be done by next weekend :)

Dooie Pop Pop

dont forget to prime it with oil before running;)

if you have the patients you could use a file or dremmal. i think i sold my modified elbow. you could get the flange cut off completely and get a nice 3inch system made from it;)

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Dooie Pop Pop said:

if you have the patients you could use a file or dremmal. i think i sold my modified elbow. you could get the flange cut off completely and get a nice 3inch system made from it;)
I know I need to prime it, its just remembering to do it ;-) Thanks for the reminder

I'll have ago with the dremmel quickly then else its off to the engineering shop.

I'd thought about the new downpipe but I just want to get the thing running again as quickly as possible.

O

Odin

I just got a sideways cutting drill bit and did mine fella, As well as a little filing to finish it off nice and neat.

Rob

kirko

Dooie Pop Pop said:

flanges;-)

damn picture isnt working

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Thanks again gents.

After some careful sizing up I dremelled and filed one hole about 1mm or so in the end.

Took 20minutes being careful and what initially looked like an awkward job was actually straight forward :)

BTW, nice flange ;-) :D

paz

:lol: Sometimes I worry about myself - every time I read the word flange, I can't help but giggle :roll: :lol: :lol:

paz