234.9bhp - should I be worried or disappointed?

G

GTI-R Kid

Inlet system consists of an Apexi cone, mated to a 2.5" pipe with one bend (45 degrees), and 2.5" inlet to turbo. Cone is positioned behind the passenger headlamp so the run into the turbo should be pretty smooth and unrestricted.

Polished means mirror finish, on both the inside of the plenum and the runners BEFORE the injectors and throttles.

Can't understand the difference between recorded ambient and intake temp as I thought he had clipped the temp probe to the outside of the cone filter. Run was done with the bonnet open so I don't know where that difference comes from. Unless I was wrong about what he clipped to the cone and he got the intake temp from somewhere else.

Fazz

Hi Rob,

Only back from States and getting into things again.

Good to see you back on the road but have to say results are not good.

Personally, I'd be dissapointed with that. Think you need to get some things checked starting with finding out what your timing is set to.

I was at WestWard for Rolling Road last year and got 293.5bhp.
I was disappointed at the time of not breaking the 300, but the result was with my timing being out and the graph clearly indicated this. Martin said I'd prob get a bit more but the result was ok.

My mods were - 87mm pistons, full goose, blitz induction, samco hard pipe kit, evo front mount, standard tubbie but with 360 thrust, twin apexi's set at 1.2bar.

So main diff is the turbo slightly improved, and small bit more boost. But mine had problems whereas yours should be running sweet as.
I think you need to check it out until you get 275bhp at least.

Secondly, at the Irish GTI-R rolling Road Day in Extreme, one of the guys got Apexi AVC-R fitted and set to .9bar boost. He then ran a 282bhp run as i recall - give or take 5 bhp can't remember exactly.

I know this is a different rollers, but just a point of reference.

Could it be a boost controller issue?
Timing retarded too much?

Glad you back on road, but I think you need to get things checked out until its running the power it should be.

I disagree with Rishi - yes we only have 95Ron, but don't think it makes that much of a difference. Especially as mine and others have proven much better results with similar spec.

Let us know how it goes. - I'll be on rollers soon too and will post up my results.

S

Snoopy

This might make you fell better
I was looking at you list of modz and there nothing there that would really help horse power gains except (exhaust, 1 bar of boost, filter,) Edddie got the same bhp in his gti-r packing the same modz., The pistons, and head gasket arent goin to gain ponys infact you could be loosing bhp through the gasket 1.2mm. did you get a compession test done?

D

deslynam

Yep if that gasket's thicker than normal you'll lose a smidgen of power too due to the reudced comp. ratio.

Have you got the fuelling level checked and is it ok?

Also, did they put a fan cool-air ducting onto the intercooler? Up at Interpro they did this and used a seperate fan to provide the intake air - helped keep the TMIC cool and also get a decent airflow into the engine...

G

GTI-R Kid

Well we're just back from a trip to the Nurburgring as our honeymoon.:thumbsup: Drove across Ireland, through Wales, England, France, Belgium, Germany, Luxemburg, Scotland and Northern Ireland in the car. Think we covered about 5000km all in (oil change due now).

Having driven it for that length of time I'm convinced its the timing is the main problem. Once we hit the UK we pulled into the first Station we saw and filled up on 98 octane fuel. Ran her on that for the entire trip until we stopped in Cashel on the way home. The only real difference I could see was slightly more willing to pop out the exhaust, and the engine was marginally cooler (like 2 degrees water temp). The car didn't feel any better or worse running on the better fuel.

A lot of things to be sorted now, as while we're delighted the car made it there and back (and passed its NCT re-test this morning) its not running as we'd like and there are a few other issues that need sorting. She's far from finished really, and we'll soon be saving again to take her over the water for ECU fitting and mapping. No longer have ANY faith in any of the Irish tuners/builders. Kinda reluctant to even have it rolling roaded over here ever again.:sad:

And Fazz - funny you should mention that power figure of yours - Martin told me he'd never had or seen a car with relatively small spec ever go over the 260 mark!:?

des - just the one big fan at the front of the car, for cooler and intake. No other supplementary fans used.

Dooie Pop Pop

fitting a thinner head gasket will raise the compression ratio not lower it so you should expect a small gain from that alone....

G

GTI-R Kid

nismoboy said:
sounds like u just need your timing set back upto 20 degrees.
How do I do that, and is 20 degrees safe on 95 ron fuel?

M

micra man

hi rob , ive actually seen fotage of this car fazz has been talking about when they recorderd the rolling road day it made 282bhp.
pearl gtir made 476.5 on 95 octane at 1.7ish bar i think it spiked at that.
agree with the fazz man it should be makin 275hp easy

hope you get it sorted soon8)