2 much steam!! Cant see where i'm going!!!

warringtonjack

Hopefully this'll be an easy one to call. Hammering along the east lancs at a good pace with a scooby in tow this morning, all of a sudden the car starts steaming like a good one from the front right corner. Had to slow down cos with the rain it was becoming a bit of a nightmare to see!!

Pulled up, popped the bonnet, and there was a huge steam jet coming out of the radiator valve, it had blown off the feed line for the expansion tank! :shock: Just checked the expansion tank and it nearly filled up before the feed blew off!!!

Had alternator changed last week by some muppet who took the radiator off to do it, so i'm suspecting he's not done something right. Any ideas where's best to first look?? :?:

paz

I would suggest having a look at the large coolant pipe at the front of your engine that looks like it goes directly into the block - think it goes to the thermostat IIRC - make sure that the A clamp holding the pipe on is firmly fastened and hasn't become loose.

Hope this helps.

Paz

p.s - do it when the car is cold :lol: ;)

S

Stoned

paz said:
I would suggest having a look at the large coolant pipe at the front of your engine that looks like it goes directly into the block - think it goes to the thermostat IIRC - make sure that the A clamp holding the pipe on is firmly fastened and hasn't become loose.

Hope this helps.

Paz

p.s - do it when the car is cold :lol: ;)
Yeah I suggest looking at this too. It's actually quite hard to see if it's leaking. I had mine off back at xmas and afterwards there was steam comming out of the bay, but I looked at it 4-5 times before I actually spotted the water leaking out of that hose

Just needed the hose clip tighter, we forgot to put it back on properly.

Mr GTiR

Mike, apologies for not getting back to you this morning.

It sounds like the muppet who fitted your rad back has not bled it properly and that the engine is air locked. That’s prob the reason why you blew your expansion tank hose off.

Fill the rad and expansion tank to the correct level. Take rad cap off and run the engine. Do not rev the engine, just let it idle. All the bubble should now come to the surface if you look at where your rad cap normally sits.

Also, at the same time gently squeeze the coolant hose to help circulation and help bring the air/bubbles to the top of the system. If the coolant starts to bubble out of the top of the rad, switch off engine let it cool down and repeat the above.

Once no more bubbles come out of the rad you are done.

A

Anonymous

Mr GTiR said:
Mike, apologies for not getting back to you this morning.

It sounds like the muppet who fitted your rad back has not bled it properly and that the engine is air locked. That’s prob the reason why you blew your expansion tank hose off.

Fill the rad and expansion tank to the correct level. Take rad cap off and run the engine. Do not rev the engine, just let it idle. All the bubble should now come to the surface if you look at where your rad cap normally sits.

Also, at the same time gently squeeze the coolant hose to help circulation and help bring the air/bubbles to the top of the system. If the coolant starts to bubble out of the top of the rad, switch off engine let it cool down and repeat the above.

Once no more bubbles come out of the rad you are done.
it actually works a lot better at a fast idle,1000-1200rpm,with the heater controls at full heat :wink:

Dooie Pop Pop

dont bother with the bleed screw on the thermostat housing either, its a waste of time and you' ll only drop the damn bolt :evil:

stu :mrgreen:

geetee

dont bother with the bleed screw on the thermostat housing either, its a waste of time and you' ll only drop the damn bolt
so right, and it will tinkle away - it's idea of laughing - as it secretes it self in a dark and inaccessible crevice :shock:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)