15s or 16s

A

adam knight

hello people im new to this site and have owned my r for a couple of weeks now i dont know a great deal about the car apart from its fookin quick. just a few quick questions im looking at buyin some coilovers and a set of compomotive th monos for her i was thinking of lowering her on to some 15s but are 15 big enough the reason i as is because i want to lower the car quite a lot but i dont want to loose the handleing but i also want to eliminate the huge arch gap but not have too bigger wheel either so was wonderin if 15s or 16 would suit my needs what do you think
thanks adam:thumbsup:

stumo

go 16's and don't lower too much, if you do it will handle badly (see the sticky by campbellju)

scottyd

in my personal opinion, i would choose 15s if you can get them over your brakes, but to be honest, you can't really go wrong with 16s, depends on how you want the car to look, but i prefer 15s.

A

adam knight

i want it to look quite low not exsessive but i also want it to handle well, iv never been a fan of massive wheels on hatches but like you say i have brakes to think about too, i aint goin to fit much under a 15" wheel, how low is the lowest i should go with 15 and with 16s thanks

scottyd

Don't quote me on this, but i read somewhere that you should not lower your car more than 40mm, and some of the best handling setups only include 25-30mm drops in ride hight, plus the size of the wheel when talking about 15s and 16s does not change the rolling radius of the wheel + tyre as the tyre is lower profile on 16s so the wheel only acts on three levels, one the weight of it, if you are bothered about this factor, two if you like the look of more wheel than tyre, and three, if it will fit over your brakes.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I think AP 304mm brakes will fit under some 15s. That should be enough braking for most of us. But lightweight 16s will give you more choice.

O

Odin

Fast Guy said:
I think AP 304mm brakes will fit under some 15s. That should be enough braking for most of us. But lightweight 16s will give you more choice.
I think 15's would be pushing you're luck, My 16's just about clear my AP 4 pots and 304mm disc's, I've got about a MM gap to the spokes :shock: .

But then again another design of wheel may well fit, I've no idea what one's though :oops: .

Rob

A

adam knight

thanks for the replys looks like 16s probly goin to do the job black th monos on the was should look sexy on a black r