1 bar loop without boost solenoid?

G

G20_GTI-R

I'm wondering if it is possible to do the 1 bar loop if you do not have the factory boost solenoid fitted? When i got my engine it didn't have the solenoid so does anyone know of a way to do it? If so i would greatly appreciate an explanation! Thanks.

Chris.

J

jpward

G20_GTI-R said:
I'm wondering if it is possible to do the 1 bar loop if you do not have the factory boost solenoid fitted? When i got my engine it didn't have the solenoid so does anyone know of a way to do it? If so i would greatly appreciate an explanation! Thanks.

Chris.
Buy a boost controller perhaps :roll:

lakeview

not unless it was taken off to try and make out the car was unmodified and had been driven very sensibly all its life

rob

J

jpward

Studlife said:
if theres no solonoid wouldn't there already be a boost controller??
Not if someone put a manual controller on it and then removed it which is most probable mine came from Japan with a Greedy bleed valve and the solenoid removed ;-)

youngsyp

G20_GTI-R said:
I'm wondering if it is possible to do the 1 bar loop if you do not have the factory boost solenoid fitted? Thanks.

Chris.
No it wouldn't.
Simply because, the actuator will open at it's preset level which, will be peak stock boost level. As, the solenoid won't be 'restricting' the vacuum/boost feed to the actuator, as it would be in the 1 bar 'looped' set up.

If you stuck a manual boost controller between the turbo actuator and plenum vacuum source, you could set the boost at any level the MBC could cope with.

Better still, get an electronic boost controller and do it properly. ;-)

Last edited:
G

G20_GTI-R

I've bought 2 used electronic boost controllers so far and i can not get either of them to work. I have no vaccum ports on my IC piping so i dont know if the ports near the ITB's are a good enough source. It's pissing me off because im wasting lots of money trying to get this thing to boost.

geoff pine

which one have you bought because some one on here will have one and tell you how to pipe it up.:thumb:Or some one on that wonderful nissan modifiers site will help you .

Last edited:
G

G20_GTI-R

I have the original Greddy profec B, and i have the Blitz SSBC.

geoff pine

If you go to greddy's web site you should fined the instalation manuals there. I have the profec b 2 but i payed some one to fit it and set it up .

G

G20_GTI-R

I've already done that. It was hooked up as the instructions stated. The only thing i can think of is the boost source not being strong enough.

steve963

my boost controller said take a pressure reading from before the intercooler, but as you know there is no feed from there as std.
So I used the line coming from the plenum, seems to work fine

(always have an aftermarket boost gauge and a wideband AFR to check things (prob an EGT also!))

G

G20_GTI-R

I don't know whats going on then, i've tried it off of the plenum with no luck.

J

jpward

G20_GTI-R said:
I don't know whats going on then, i've tried it off of the plenum with no luck.
Can you do a quick sketch of your pipe runs so we can rule that out before looking at settings ;-)

G

G20_GTI-R

i'll take a picture of it tomorrow and highlight the pipes. Thanks guys.

J

jpward

G20_GTI-R said:

how's that for a sketch!
See not bad effort :lol:

Right 1st thing to make sure is the two lines on the "Valve" are correct way round and on correct ports on my apexi it has "no" and "com" on it which go vacuum chamber and to actuator respectively

Then make sure the feed going to the new pressure sensor is good and of course all lines are secure.

The hard part will be setting up your base boost map but your basic settings will be first finding the actual boost pressure and then setting the duty (% time open) at a given rpm to set the required boost level. Easy to understand really as a boost level of 1.5Bar with about 40% duty is a good starting point.

Someone with more experience on your controller will be able to simplify things for you but I know on the apexi we have a learning mode when the controller actually monitors the boost levels so it understands what range the car runs so it is not trying to go between 0.5 Bar and 2Bar which would make for an interesting ride
:lol:

G

G20_GTI-R

There's really nothing to learn on the profec b or blitz ssbc. Its just high and low boost settings with a gain knob.

J

jpward

G20_GTI-R said:
There's really nothing to learn on the profec b or blitz ssbc. Its just high and low boost settings with a gain knob.
Well you need to jocky that knob a bit better then :lol:

What boost is it actually running at?