1.1 bar

J

J-GTi-R

I've got one of Mike/ex-gtir's little boost switches in my car, which I have mostly been leaving alone until I could get a boost gauge in and accurately measure what boost it gives me.

Well, with the jubilee clips on the intercooler hoses now actually done up ( :roll: ) I'm getting 16 psi, or roughtly 1.1 bar. I have a Walbro fuel pump to go in as well, but until I can afford the Unichip, could I get a temporary set-up by PS or the like to run 1.1 bar safely, or should I just do as I'm thinking and just leave the switch alone until I can get some decent fuel and igntition control (the unichip) installed?

A

antilag

different cars are gonna fuel different make yaself a set of det cans its always handy it could b fine could not :roll:

ps lees behind u

J

J-GTi-R

Yeah I can just go see what PS say, but as it's my only way of getting to work at the moment I'd prefer it if the car didn't go pop.

Lee? Cheers mate!

nismoboy

Personally id turn the boost down until u get a fuel controller and even then no more than 1bar on standard pistions! its up to u tho but the fact of the matter is it will go pop if u run more than 1bar.

S

Sirnixalot

nismoboy said:
but the fact of the matter is it will go pop if u run more than 1bar.

and just who told you this crap???

1.4bar with proper fuel controller on standard turbo

what say you to that?

Silvia with a metal head gasket and NO MORE INTERNAL MODS 1.76bar for 7months.

they wont pop above 1 bar but past 1.4bar their life span is reduced.

M

memski

Nikko, I think his engine blew at 1.2bar if I'm correct? (Mine hit 1.6bar today when hooning on way back from work :oops: )

J, I would run on low boost for now and get an Safc mapped for 1.1bar later on down the line.

SickBoy

I run 1.2 bar all the time no option to turn down

All set up on unichip with good fuel set up if anything is a tad rich but better safe than sorry

Lee 8)

ShayneG

nismoboy said:
Personally id turn the boost down until u get a fuel controller and even then no more than 1bar on standard pistions! its up to u tho but the fact of the matter is it will go pop if u run more than 1bar.
My R has been running at 1.2 bar on everything standard for about 6 months. I've had the timing advanced but thats it :!: Powerstation said it will run quite happily as it is.

A

Anonymous

sirnix,what the silvias like?thinkin of getting a drift machine,1.7 bar sounds like fun..... :eek:

J

J-GTi-R

Yeah there's plenty of cars out there running lots more than 1 bar on standard internals without any problems, you just have to have the fueling and timing set correctly.

I'll just leave the switch alone until I get the Unichip, a shame as Mike's boost mod give a hell of a kick when the boost comes in, but in the interests of engine life I'll play it safe.

Just for information, Mike's boost switch allows a further 0.2 bar over standard, which would normally be fine, except it seems my exhaust and air filter has raised the standard boost to between 0.8 and 0.9 bar. I'd like to keep the 1.1 bar facility, so I'll just have to wait for the Unichip.

323GT-R

J,

It might be worth you just getting a rolling road check done, most cars run rich from the factory, so maybe you'll still be ok at 1.1 bar with the standard set up, ie still rich, and they can tweak the timing to make sure there's no det. The only way to know is to get it checked and play safe...

GINGA

Agree with the above there no way to say if your car will be ok at 1.1bar just because others are as no to cars run the same :( best to take it to ps and have the fuelling/timing checked its the only real way you'd know if the fuelling is ok :wink:
Theres some cars running around at 1.3bar plus on standard ecu etc and no fuelling adjustments :shock: for ages but them others have gone pop on 1 bar.

kyepan

Went for a spin in J's car the other night, it was fooking rapid for a nearly one bar R.. so that would explain it. he has a steering column mounted bost guage, but my head was glued to the head rest due to accelerating g force ;)...

uni chip time jase? fuel pump etc ? 8)

S

Sirnixalot

i dont actually think a unichip would be such a good idea. From what ive been reading it seems severtly limited in both injector size and you cant up grade the MAF with it either.

How much are they anyway?

I would go for an Apexi SAFC, at least you can upgrade to a 300zx MAF with that.

C

Crazy

Sirnixalot
I would go for an Apexi SAFC, at least you can upgrade to a 300zx MAF with that.
That is what I have planned for my R, well I already have the S-AFC II and will start looking for the 300zx maf as soon as I fit my

Forge intercooler
Koyo Rad
MD214 Turbo
Greddy Profec B II :shock:

I would defo agree with you J-Gti-R that you should get PS to check the fueling for you just to be safe :wink:

GINGA

i dont actually think a unichip would be such a good idea. From what ive been reading it seems severtly limited in both injector size and you cant up grade the MAF with it either.
J's not looking to build a power monsteR though he's just looking to build a solid and sensible 1bar(ish :lol: ) R so won't be needing to upgrade injectors,maf etc :wink: in this case a unichip or emanage would be perfect imho 8) as it would allow him to get the most out of his car at 1 bar boost without nearing the limits of either injectors,ecu or maf the only thing he would need is a uprated fuel pump.

S

Sirnixalot

the emanage does more than the safc or unishit...erm chip. But is limited to 666cc injectors.

J

J-GTi-R

I know the limitations of the Unichip, but as Ginga points out, I'm not going to ever put a Z32 MAF on the car or ever need bigger injectors, I just need a little tweaking of the fuel and ignition maps. My car is only ever going to be a 1 bar (ish :lol: ) car as I'm not going to invest and more than what's needed for that in a 12 year old Datsun (unless I win the lottery of course).

I'm also doing this as cost-effectively as possible, so while the e-manage would be the prefered option, I'm looking at upto £1000 fitted and mapped, where as I can get the Unichip fitted and mapped for around £600. That'll save me £400 to spend on the suspension, which is where I'd rather spend the money!

323GT-R

Sirnixalot said:
the emanage does more than the safc or unishit...erm chip. But is limited to 666cc injectors.
Damn! Reading your post in the injector thread, that would mean you're 'limited' to only 450 BHP.... :lol:

J, £1000 for an emanage? You have to be joking, they're about £160 in the US at the moment, fitting and mapping will cost no more than a Unichip would, it's basically the same job! I have the Emanage, software, Profec E01 and all the harnesses and it came to around £500 all in. Fitting is easy, only a few wires, and unlie the Unichip, Greddy actually give you a wiring diagram so you can fit it yourself ;) There was a group buy on the SXOC where you got the E-manage + software for £265, and the harnesses were about £20 each on top - you most likely only need the ignition harness.