0-60

L

levin

read in the newbies FAQ that 0-60 is around 5.5 sec

what performance mods are needed to let a GTIR shave 1 sec off to, say to end up with 4.5 sec 0 to 60 or even faster ?

i realise traction, weight, drivers reaction, ... all have an impact on 0 to 60 times but only want to know what performance mods a GTIR needs to achieve this, saying i need to lose the rear seat and sounds deadening thats true but aint helpful as i dont want to go that route

youngsyp

Just to warn you, be ready for a good roasting now you've posted up this question. ;-)

Autocar iirc, managed a 0-60 time of 5.3 seconds (average of 3) with the best being 5.1 seconds. This was supposed to be on a stock GTiR.

Very little is needed to improve the 0-60 time. Fastguy managed a 3.7 second run with 'just' 246 bhp. Obviously, he did strip the car out a little though.

I'd have thought a car running 300 bhp 280 lb's/ft of torque would be able to get into the low 4's if you didn't care about your gearbox or clutch.

As for mods, a decent turbo back exhaust, free flowing air filter, uprated fuel pump and boost at 1 bar would get those sort of power figures.

EVOBAD

run 300bhp u should hit low 4ss if u can get the gear changes right but i think a strd pulsar is more near 5seconds

O

Odin

LOU ROB said:
You or was it skiddus ;-)

No that was all me :lol: , Surprisingly enough I got the faster 60ft time, Mine was 1.6 seconds and Simon only got 1.7 :? :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Odin

gunmetalgtir said:
Really? :shock: That's surprising considering you weigh 30 stone! :lol:

Get your facts right sunshine :doh: , I'm only a slim line 26 stone :shock: :thumbsup: .

Rob

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Odin said:
Get your facts right sunshine :doh: , I'm only a slim line 26 stone :shock: :thumbsup: .

Rob
Perhaps it was better weight distribution and traction from the increase in weight that helped ;-)

O

Odin

jpward said:
With a Quaife?

They are closer ratio arnt they? :?

Yes mate, The first four gears are a little closer together and 5th is the standard ratio.

Rob

J

jpward

Odin said:
Yes mate, The first four gears are a little closer together and 5th is the standard ratio.

Rob
That's another reason to get one now :lol:

Do you think Quaife could make you a longer 5th as i have always found motorway driving revs to be too high?

O

Odin

jpward said:
That's another reason to get one now :lol:

Do you think Quaife could make you a longer 5th as i have always found motorway driving revs to be too high?

I'm sure you could for a price :shock: :doh: , I know what you mean though I'm always looking for 6th :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

L

levin

youngsyp said:
I'd have thought a car running 300 bhp 280 lb's/ft of torque would be able to get into the low 4's if you didn't care about your gearbox or clutch.
can a Quaife box handle that kind of abuse or are these simply close ratio boxes ?
also what type of clutch will hold this abuse ? double plate, triple plate, paddle or some other type of clutch ?

Fast Guy said:
My 3.7 was on about 270bhp ish
erm that is imo just sooooo impressive what did you do to make that happen ?

O

Odin

levin said:
can a Quaife box handle that kind of abuse or are these simply close ratio boxes ?
also what type of clutch will hold this abuse ? double plate, triple plate, paddle or some other type of clutch ?

My quaife has been in for 6 years now and never missed a beat, Killed the first Nismo clutch after 36k of very hard driving and dragging, I had the box rebuilt with new bearing at the same time as changing the clutch, And it held 400 bhp for the last 2 years of proper use, And hopefully will hold the 500 ish I'm planning to unleash on it soon :twisted: ;-) .

Now have a twin plate clutch fitted.

But I wont be dropping the clutch anymore in case I break the casing :oops: .

Rob

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
levin said:
Fast Guy said:
My 3.7 was on about 270bhp ish
erm that is imo just sooooo impressive what did you do to make that happen ?

Mark Turbo has also done 3.9 to 60 on 1bar.

IMO all Gtirs should be capable of that, they just need to be launched hard and driven down the strip like you stole it.;-)

L

levin

what mods did you have then ? i assume stronger clutch and gearbox to take the abuse, and only few mods to get 270bhp like turbo back exhaust, decat, air filter, boostcontroller @ 1 bar ?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Standard clutch, standard gearbox(no sidestepping), apexi induction, mongoose exhaust,colder plugs, dawes device for 1bar, no boost controller, no fuel controller, just all bunged on and the boost turned up:oops:

I killed the clutch at the end of that year,(did a full season on a slipping standard clutch) so now I have an RPS Clutch fitted. I'd have loved to put a new standard clutch in, just to see how long it would last this time.:lol: