z32 or q45

dazzamac

just wantin to know whatthe difference between a z32 and q45 maf is, and whats required to fit both?

try'd doin a search but quite alot of pages worth ot stuf came up

thanks for any help

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
dazzamac said:
just wantin to know whatthe difference between a z32 and q45 maf is, and whats required to fit both?

try'd doin a search but quite alot of pages worth ot stuf came up

thanks for any help
the Q45 resolution isn't as good compared to the Z32

Fusion Ed

A pulsar I mapped recently was maxing out its airflow meter (Q45) at 410-420bhp on the dyno, recently got 460+ on another with a Z32 and it still had more to go.

youngsyp

I think this has been said before but, the Q45 is designed for N/A engines where as, the Z32 is designed for a turbo charged (twin) engine. This may affect the resolution they can manage ?!

Fusion Ed

Absolutely does. I can state with 100% certainty that the Q45 is unable to measure the same volume of air as the Z32 sensor can, what is physically able to pass through them both is irrelevant if the sensor runs out of measuring ability before hand.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
The Q45 MAF is 90mm where as the Z32 MAF is 80mm so people assume bigger is better. As people have already said, the sensor is scaled lower so the voltage maxes our more easily.

Fusion Ed

Good question, not had a car on a MAF make that much power yet. When it happens I shall let you know... MAF from a Cobra is one possible option, or two MAFs skyline styleeeeee

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
JU5TY said:
So whats the next step up from a Z32MAF when using a setup that requires an air flow meter?
well the z32 MAF will cope with 500+ and if your at that level already, I would guess the next step would be to go MAF-less and use a map sensor