Wrong loom?

grimmy1988

Right, iv got my car nearly on the road.
My problem is I think I have the wrong interior loom.
There is no plug for the oil pressure on the back of the clocks. Also, nothing on my clocks is working apart from indicators.
There is a mystery plug that doesn't go to anything. Iv checked on two other pulsars to see where it goes and both don't have this plug.
Has anyone heard of this before? I thought a pulsar loom would all be the same?
Any help is apriciated as it's vertically ready to mot.
Many thanks.

grimmy1988

Also, when I was looking at another pulsar, the three big plugs for the clocks are 2 white and one black. The one iv got has a yellow one on? It still plugs in but nothing works. Tried my clocks in his car and they work fine.
Just to clarify this is what's not working.
Speedo
rev counter
temp gauge
fuel gauge
oil pressure
engine management light and what not.

The he ones that are working are
indicator green lights
airbag light.
The battery light is very faint.

Many thanks in advance.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Series I Vs Series II clocks?

The earlier ones have different clocks (and therefore connectors). - The easiest way to tell is that they say "ANTILOCK" rather than "ABS".

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It's caught many people out; I think you can rewire them to work if you have to, because they're fundamentally they same.

splmum

Also, when I was looking at another pulsar, the three big plugs for the clocks are 2 white and one black. The one iv got has a yellow one on? It still plugs in but nothing works. Tried my clocks in his car and they work fine.
Just to clarify this is what's not working.
Speedo
rev counter
temp gauge
fuel gauge
oil pressure
engine management light and what not.

The he ones that are working are
indicator green lights
airbag light.
The battery light is very faint.

Many thanks in advance.
AIRBAG light - These are extremely uncommon and only came out on a small number (I have only seen and heard of 1 in over 12 years of ownership) of Series 2 Pulsars.

This tells me you are trying to fit a Series 2 clocks into a Series 1 car.

You need to work out which series you have 1 or 2 as the instrument clusters (main - speedo and tacho) are different and are NOT inter-changable (without a fair bit of work).

As George said above, ANTILOCK is Series 1 and ABS is Series 2.

Pulsars have a VIN ending in six numbers in the following phases
Series 1
Phase 1 - 000101-005485
Phase 2 - 020001-021480
Phase 3 - 050001-053490
Series 2
Phase 1 (4) - 100001-102340
Phase 2 (5) - 150001-151846

AND

You have probably had the centre gauges removed (and the plugs cut - why, no logical reason) and the yellow plug is probably aftermarket for some other sort of gauge you now don't have.

You may need to find find the cut points, repair same with some plugs and that should do it.

Last edited:

grimmy1988

Right ok.
My loom is uncut. The yellow plug looks factory
my center gauges are in with the plugs uncut.
Car came without any looms what so ever.

My clocks work in my friends car who has a different dash loom.
My problem is that I do t know the bin numbers of the cars in which the looms came out off.

so presuming I have a series two dash loom, and a series one front loom, are these comparable? Are the series one and series two front looms the same? The one with the big plug that goes to the headlights etc.
many thanks for your help again guys.

Last edited:

splmum

Right ok.
My loom is uncut. The yellow plug looks factory
my center gauges are in with the plugs uncut.
Car came without any looms what so ever.

My clocks work in my friends car who has a different dash loom.
My problem is that I do t know the bin numbers of the cars in which the looms came out off.

so presuming I have a series two dash loom, and a series one front loom, are these comparable? Are the series one and series two front looms the same? The one with the big plug that goes to the headlights etc.
many thanks for your help again guys.
First off, where did you get the loom. Because if you DO NOT have the 3 plugs for the centre gauges then you DO NOT have a GTI-R loom. you possibly have a primera one, which by the sounds of it is no good.

You know the clocks work in your mates car, so you need to find out your VIN number (stamped on the firewall behind the plenum chamber [intake]) and it will tell you (from the above numbers I supplied) which series it is.

THEN you need to get a loom from that series GTI-R, replace the one you have in the car, plug in all your clocks and hey presto, it's alive.

whytie

If you have an umbrella holder in the door you have a phase 1, if not you have a phase 2

grimmy1988

It does have the three plugs for the center dials.
Finding out what series my shell WAS isn't going to make a differance as not one of the looms in it is original.
I couldn't find just one person to supply me all the looms so had to get them from here and there.
i think another friend possibly has the ones I need in his car. I think I'll try them and see if they work or not.