would h/g cause the engine to breath heavy?

W

white lightening

Right, im driving down the road when i notice the water temp in the red and the oil temp over the half way mark on the gauge.

Pull over and there's steam everywhere and the rocker cover gasket has blown. Oil splattered all over.
Fired her up the next day, no white or black smoke but when out driving the car down the road i notice the oil temp getting hot very quickly.

I popped the bonnet and revved it and noticed its breathing heavier than normal from the breather pipe and the rocker cover gasket still leaks even tho its been replaced

Ive got a compression check and 2nd+3rd cylinder are at 100ish, the 1st+4th are both ok.

Its using a bit of water and v little oil. When driving off boost, temps are ok but as soon as i rev it above 3k oil temp starts to rise quickly to about the half way mark on the temp gauge i then i ease off and it drops.

Sounds like the h/g right??? But would this cause the oil temp to rocket and would this cause the heavy breathing??? :roll: :roll:

Cheers paul

P

pyrotecnic

heavy breathing is normally caused by a blocked breather pipe or engine being shagged. often its a breather pipe.

P

petegtir

sounds like a blown HG to me.
had a very similar thing happen to the s14 sr20 i had in my kit car. and my brothers R did the same thing. fine off boost as soon as it went on boost it boiled over and overheated. turns out he warped the head and the HG was history.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Sound like your head gasket could be blowing between no 2+3 cylinders.
If so has your head gasket just gone, or has something else caused it to over heat and then blow the head gasket.
If you can be sure the head gasket's just gone, then change it and you should be ok, but have the head checked with a straight edge for warping. It may also be worth checking the water pump/drive belt and cooling system for leaks (after changing the head gasket) just to be on the safe side.

P

petegtir

my brother is shouting "thermostat" at me. he said that his went and it overheated then the hg went as a result of the head warping.

only a cheap part and easy to test to see if it works ok. nice diy fix that.

W

white lightening

Cheers guys, ive checked the thermostate and thats ok.

Im with fast guy on this one, im just hoping everything else is ok.

The heavy breathing is still a concern tho!

Would the headgasket cause this??????