Wishbone Bolt Stuck!!!

samgtr

hope some one can help me on this, iv removed the wish bone to change bushes,
but when i try to remove this bolt seen below it just turns and turns doesnt come out anymore, i think previous owner has stripped thread, how would i get it out???

thanks in advance
sam

O

Odin

Its one of two things, Either he's stripped the thread or their is a captive nut in there that's come loose.

If its the tread you should be able to use a pry bar under the mount, Just lever it gentle and undo the bolt at the same time, That should see it come out, You can then drill it out and re tap bigger or weld it up and drill and tap back to the correct size.

If it's the captive nut then you may have to cut the bolt head off and cut out the section and fit a new piece with a new captive nut attached.

Sounds like lots of fun to be had though lol.

Rob

samgtr

i have tried using a pry bar under the mount and un doing the bolt but no luck, i will defenitly try once again as i was really frustrated before.
thanks

O

Odin

samgtr said:
i have tried using a pry bar under the mount and un doing the bolt but no luck, i will definitely try once again as i was really frustrated before.
thanks

You might have to bite the bullet and cut the head off the bolt and see what you are dealing with then :doh: :cry: .

I have the same problem on a smaller scale, One of my roll bar bolts did the same thing, I just know its the captive nut :doh: :cry: , But I've got a new chassis rail waiting to be fitted so it's not the end of the world I suppose :cry: .

Rob

youngsyp

Those aren't stock bolts so, I reckon the previous owner has chewed the thread off either the 'nut' or the bolt itself.

Looking at the other thread, It doesn't look like a captive nut in there ?!

Rob's idea seems the only way forward but, you need to be careful as, you don't want the end of that bolt floating around in that space. The rattling will drive you mad.

I had a similar problem but, I managed to get the bolt out. The numpty who had the car before (or someone who worked on it for me over here) cross threaded the bolt so, I had to get the nut helicoiled. Obviously, because it's a nut, this isn't ideal so, I dread the day I ever have to undo that bolt !

Good luck bud.

samgtr

yeah the other side has the original small bolts but these ones are 5 inches long!! oh well will cut the top off and see what happens, not looking forward to it....

samgtr

i finally managed to remove the bolt, used a small bar to pry it and use a drill to unscrew it,
what would you recommend now? would a slightly bigger bolt be ok to tap a new thread in??

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
What was left in the hole? A thread or nothing? Could you tell if it was the bolt or the hole which was causing the problem? It might be worth helicoiling it.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
If the captive thread spins when you try and wind a bolt into it then you'll have no joy with the Helicoil kit as you won't be able to cut a new thread for the coil.

but..................

If the captive thread is stationary (doesn't just spin when you try and wind a bolt into it) and is only partially damaged, to start with I would just attempt to repair what's left of the existing thread.

Assuming its an M8 thread, buy a tap and holder from these guys you'll want the M8 X 1.25. Before you start cutting the thread spray some WD40 on the tap and into the damaged thread then just make sure that when you start the repair you put the tap in straight.

samgtr

just thought i would stick up an update as iv solved the problem.

upon further investigation i noticed f**k face previous owner had done a bodge by drilling through the passenger footwell to hold the wish bone bolts???:doh::shock:

so ended up doing a helicoil job to repair and fits nice and tight now.

iv been driving 1 and half yrs with that bodged up bolts and allways heard creeking from the passenger side and never knew what it was:roll:?

this car never fails to surprise me with bodge fixes and probs, but i love fixing the probs so not all bad, just glad i didnt loose the car and the last track day i went to:shock:

sam

O

Odin

samgtr said:
this car never fails to surprise me with bodge fixes and probs, but i love fixing the probs so not all bad, just glad i didn't loose the car and the last track day i went to:shock:

sam

Good job Sam, What are those new bolts made of mate ?, They should be high tensile steel and not just stainless.

That must go down in the hall of shame as one of the best bodge ups I've seen for a while though :roll: :der: , Who was the old owner ? name and shame time I think ;-) :lol: :lol: .

Rob

samgtr

Odin said:
Good job Sam, What are those new bolts made of mate ?, They should be high tensile steel and not just stainless.

That must go down in the hall of shame as one of the best bodge ups I've seen for a while though :roll: :der: , Who was the old owner ? name and shame time I think ;-) :lol: :lol: .

Rob

thanks im happy with the fix too, first time using the helicoil, i used thes bolts

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=130173587388&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=003

do you think there up to the job?

sam

O

Odin

samgtr said:
thanks im happy with the fix too, first time using the helicoil, i used thes bolts

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=130173587388&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=003

do you think there up to the job?

sam
I've no idea about the grades for stainless steel, I know they do high tensile stainless bolts because I've bought some for mine before, I would look into to if I where you mate, I wouldn't like you wish bone to come off at the wrong time because of bolt failure ;-) .

The whiteline anti dive kit comes with new stainless allen bolts mate, So maybe if you bought one of those you could kill two birds with one stone, That's if you've kept the standard thread size.

Rob

samgtr

Odin said:
I've no idea about the grades for stainless steel, I know they do high tensile stainless bolts because I've bought some for mine before, I would look into to if I where you mate, I wouldn't like you wish bone to come off at the wrong time because of bolt failure ;-) .

The whiteline anti dive kit comes with new stainless allen bolts mate, So maybe if you bought one of those you could kill two birds with one stone, That's if you've kept the standard thread size.

Rob

ok thanks mate will look into that.

sam