Wiseco piston ring clearance

CARLGTIR

Hi all, Wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. The engineer I'm using has given 7 thou clearance from ring to the bore. Would these pistons require more clearance or should that be sufficient? any help is most appreciated, ta

P

pulsarboby

the clearances will be on the spec sheet you had with the pistons carl!
providing the clearance isnt under what they have specified then you will be fine mate.

its the end gap which is important as you will have to allow for heat expansion, and sometimes the rings need to be gapped properly even after fitting them.
once again all those details will be on the spec sheet

CARLGTIR

ok bob cheers, I found the spec sheet yesterday and I dont think Elmsleigh have given enough clearance :doh: Gonna run block into him again with the right information and torque settings for the head bolts n con rods so another set back... looks like your engine is gonna be done first! Still tryin to find a local company that will port n gas flow the head... Your mate ken is booked till October :shock:

stumo

do you mean 0.7mm? 0.7mm= approx .027-.028 imperial

If you mean 7 thou (of an inch) ring gap then that sounds far too small. i would have thought in the region of 20-25 thou (inch)is more reasonable (for the top ring).

or do you mean bore to piston clearance?

CARLGTIR

yeh the measurement was in inches, like .0007. I Think on the paperwork I recently found it should of been .0025 to allow for expansion, close to what you said! dont want my bores to be fooked after the money its costing me.

P

pulsarboby

yeah if your not sure then run it back down there and ask him to recheck it, ive allowed over on mine and gone for 0.35 to allow for the extra heat it will be generating when on track!better tro be slightly to big than not enough end gap!
just tell him your worried as its gonna be running very high boost with a large turbo;-)