wiring issues

whytie

After masking the inside of my car off ready for paint i noticed smoke coming from my dash, i ripped of the paper and and their was a wire which is part of the stereo harness was melting and smoking also a fuse which was for the rear lights melted in the fuse box.

I had took out the rear wiring harness before painting and im guessing it is to do with mayby a earth ive took off. Ive now got it back together and car is running fine apart from rear lights not working obviously. Am not sure why one of the stereo wires was starting to smoke. I dont like electrics i just can never get my head round them.

Also if anyone is selling a fuse box as i cant pop a new fuse in because of the melted plastic.:doh:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The stereo was possibly earthed through the sidelight feed.

Had you just or recently wired a stereo in?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Possibly, unless there an inherent problem with the looms when they get old. I've heard of 3 or 4 harnesses burning out now.

Check the headlight connectors, they tend to melt too.

ollydj

i think one of the wires in your loom is you side light feed/illumination feed for sterio. i conected my earth to that when wiring my head unit in and couldnt understand why my head unit would only work with the side lights on!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
i think one of the wires in your loom is you side light feed/illumination feed for sterio. i conected my earth to that when wiring my head unit in and couldnt understand why my head unit would only work with the side lights on!
Yes, that's the dimmer control for the dashboard etc. On most stereos it's used as a signal to dim the display for night use; it's probably the same circuit that turns the back-light on in the clocks too.

I've had a similar problem when putting a new stereo in a girlfriend's car; something got shorted and a load of wires under the dash melted their insulation and started smoking. - There were no long-term problems though; I just had to replace the damaged wiring (all for a previous and very dodgy install) and the fuse that eventually blew.