wills problem of the week

Keira

My mate will has a problem every week with with his car, last week it was caused by me snapping a stud on the down pipe [:0] This week his r has decided it doesn't want to work properly.

From what he's described to me and from the amount of oil that was passing through the intercooler, coming out the dump valve, in the hoses etc i reckon the plugs are getting oily. He's been putting 0-40 oil in it which i reckon is to thin and the oil seperator is obviously not doing a very good job.

Last night the car started running real sh!t and he reckons it sounds like it's running on 3, this is what makes me think the plugs are getting oily. Had a listen over the phone and it sounded like a diesel [:0] He cant get the plugs out cos he's got no tools at his so i'm round there in morning.

Anyone else got any ideas whats up ?

It shouldn't be a fooked piston cos its running standard boost and has HKS pistons in it from when he blew it up before [:eek:)]Although the amount of oil getting through is going to have an affect on the air fuel mixture so at worst case it's possible, the cars still set up for 100 octane fuel on a field racing ecu...

It's a big black fly swat

skiddusmarkus

Keira

On further investigation it doesn't appear to be the plugs getting oiled up and not sparking, there was a little tiny sign of oil on them but not alot, everthings sparking away quite nicely. Cars definately running on all 4 just running like a bag-o-sh!te. At first i though it was something to do with the cooling system as there was a strange noise coming from what apeared to be the thermost and abit of steam. Altough how would taht affect running of teh car, shouldn't it just overheat which it doesn't ???? Had abit of a tinker about and the car ran fine for 20 mins, drove ok and rev'd cleanly. Then it went poop again. The car doesn't want to rev. Shouldn't be a fueling problem cos we changed the filter last week and its already got uprated pump.

Reset the ecu and the car was fine again ticking over nicely, booted it down the road and it went poop again ???

The cars set for 100 octane fuel, could it be the knock sensor ????

Does it sound like its gone into limp home mode, would the engine management light be flashing if it had, cos its not.

Check for fault codes next i suppose...

Keira

He's got a hks mushroom jobbie, although he's got one of my team-bob-the-builder cold air feeds on it, 5 inch flexi duct straight from the brake duct up through the wing, straight to the filter, he reckons it was working a treat. I Though it might of been cos he'd over oiled the filter so took it off and gave the maf sensor abit of a wipe, little bit of cr@p on it, car started up fine, ticked over nicely for 20mins, but went lumpy again as soon as it was booted down the road, had a team-bob-the-builder gusset filter ( pair of tights ) on it so it doesn't look like its oily filter problems.

The whole time i was doing this the battery was disconnected cos his alarm was playing up and deafening me, might of reset the ecu perhaps which allowed the car to run fine until booted ???

Would that temporarilly clear the fault [?]

Keira

It turns out that the latest bit of info which had been forgotten was that the car didn't just start running poorly, there was a loud bang and a big f*ck off flame shot out the exhaust before the car decided it didn't want to play anymore.

Think that probably narrows it down abit ?????

Keira

Would've done that sunday morning if matey had mentioned the words, bang, flame and not running properly in the same sentance when he rang me [:)]

should've done it anyway i really....

never mind.

Keira

Still havn't sorted it out, compression test will be next just to see,

Going to swap the ecu with a standard one aswell. The field racing ecu is a piggy back add on so it could be that playing up ????

Its all abit puzzling [?][?]

J

Jon

could be a daft question but
its not the turbo is it[?] as oil is getting thru the system
Jon

Keira

Somebody else has mentioned that their car did the same thing when the turbo went, its a possible cos the amount of oil that is getting blown through the intercooler is quite bad, theres no smoke though. The car ran fine twice on sunday and appeared to be boosting up ok until it was booted, if the boost was brought in gradually it was fine but as soon as you floored it it would run like a sack of sh!te.

Following a compression test it might be turbo off next.

J

Jon

hmm..
keep us posted Kieron could ya please
as i have very similar things happening to mine.
thanks mate.
Jon

Keira

Will do jon.

Got a standard ecu to go it tonight, cheers gary [;)]
That should sort out whether its his one playing up.

Following that, and the compression test looks like mr turbo may have to come off....[xx(]

zia

sound like the seal on the turbo have gone with car running pull out the dipstick should small amount of air pressure coming out if there is alot air and oil being blown out it would indicate the that the rings are not holding compresion.or it could be a blown vavle?

zia

lord of the "R"